nbs headers

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by 08chevyz71, Feb 23, 2012.

1. 08chevyz71

08chevyz71 Member

So thinkin bout tryin to get more power outta my 5.3 im not into tearin my engine apart myself and all but ill do any bolt ons. Do i want headers or should i get a cam? ive got a intake and my exhaust is simply no muffler with a ypipe. also i dont wanna add anything ill need to change for inspection

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. Untouchable

Untouchable Member 2 Years 100 Posts

If you're not into tearing your engine apart, I'd go with the headers. I'm looking at a pair from Summit that's pretty affordable.

3. 08chevyz71

08chevyz71 Member

Well iv read on here that shortys dont do anything for you. But long tubes are questionable for inspection?

4. Untouchable

Untouchable Member 2 Years 100 Posts

5. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Im not sure about on our Chevys but I know when it comes to my cobras unless you are making over 500 horse headers are a waste of money. I have dynatech headers and I didn't feel much of a performance difference just a better sound. But if I do what I'm planning on with this truck I will probably throw in some long tubes when I rebuild the motor

6. 08chevyz71

08chevyz71 Member

Yea in my opinion shortys don't add enough power to justify the trouble. I hate working with exhaust lol. I'm jus curious if I spent money on long tubes and put stock exhaust back on minus headers if I'd pass. Mitchell what do you plan on doing to your truck? I'm not a engine mechanic and haven't spent enough time researching but what will a cam do for me? I could always take it to someone and have it worked on. Then people talk about port and polished. Am I chasin my tail with runnin big tires and trying to have a good bit of power? Kinda wish I had a dmax but o well. Btw black bears tune is absolutely amazing.

7. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I actually just got an email back from blackbear they're gunna do my tune, but I'm thinking a 227/239 112 cam, I'm not sure If I'm going to go with new heads or port them and upgrade valve spring,rods and roller. I also have a 91mm turbo I've been looking into running it just because I rarely see turboed trucks, only thing with that is I'm a supercharger kinda guy. Just to expensive for my daily driver. Also a little high stall converter and rebuild the tranny. I'd do with a good street cam and a free flowing exhaust and a tune and if you need more power start throwing in more stuff lol.

8. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

You potentially get the most change in performance with the camshaft change, assuming you choose the right profile for how you use the truck and for any air management changes (turbo, supercharger).