Well everyone loves pictures of a good project and I'm here to please. A couple of weeks ago it was time to Do Something about the dash lights that were going out in my '04 burb. Thanks to Pikey I was able to determine that the gauge cluster had already been rebuilt once before beginning, and I did discover a rebuilder's tag on it showing that it was rebuilt when the truck was about two years old. I got a little bag of solder-on lights from dallasclusterrepair.com. So here's the cluster out of the truck and with the the cover and the back carefully pried off. Not much to it, just use a screwdriver, go slow, and be careful not to break any tabs. Now I moved all the pointers all the way to each one's most counterclockwise position using my fingers. This is further counterclockwise than the "rest" position that the instruments will have with key off. Then I took photos so I knew exactly where each pointer must go, for re-installation, with particular attention to detail for the speedometer and the fuel gauge. Then I removed the pointers by using a dinner fork. I put the fork under each one and pulled straight up. It took a fair amount of force. I went back to the truck and with great care reconnected the connector. With the rear housing gone the connector key isn't there. The connector is always hot and so if I had lined up the pins off by one I could have toasted something. But I wasn't sure at this point whether I was going to replace all the lamps and wanted to mark the ones that were bad. The white area is the area that is illuminated. The lamps outside this area are for the cruise and the turn signals. Here's what it looked like with the headlamp switch on. If you look carefully you can see that four of the lamps are burned out: Well it turned out to be no big deal at all to do these so I ended up replacing all of them. Here's an example. The plastic tower thingies are there in the stock lamps just to make automated pick-and-place work out better, and so I didn't reuse them. The new lamps were a little taller and just to avoid clearance problems I put them on their sides: The actual soldering was the easy part. After everything was together I went back to the truck for an operational check: Then it was easy enough to reassemble the pieces and push the pointers back on. I was careful not to get any dust or fingerprints inside and wiped off the inside of the clear plastic cover with a lens wipe. The final results with the trim on look like this: So I was very pleased, it all looks just like stock, cheap, and not a difficult repair really. Then it was onto the HVAC controls. This is a more complicated piece for two reasons. The lamps are soldered thru-hole making them somewhat more difficult to remove: And they have this blue plastic cover on them to give the light a cooler quality. I suppose with some more checking I could have found lamps that were just right, but I had some more of the ones from the cluster in hand and used those. It took some fiddling to get them soldered in sideways in a way that everything would fit together without the lamps hitting the housing, and also in such a way that they wouldn't short out later: The appearance is OK and I can see which button is the rear defrost now at night. But the color cast is a little towards the warm side and they're a tad too bright to match everything else. Not bad. I think if I had it to do over again I'd pay rock auto the $100 for a new control, but I'm going to leave my repair in place for now.