Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

NBS tailgate locks?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 08_rado_rocker, Apr 9, 2012.

1. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Anybody got any idea how the tailgate locks work on the NBS pickups??

I'm trying to upgrade Truck Norris to basically LTZ, and found a backup cam tailgate handle for a good price but it has the tailgate lock hole in it, and mine doesn't have a lockable tailgate. Basically just wondering what it would take to add the feature to mine.
  2. 2k8z71

2k8z71 Rockstar 100 Posts

I asked the dealership about it and you will have to buy the lock cylinder thru them and they have to cut it to match your key. I think all it does is lock the handle itself so it cant be opened.
  3. 08_rado_rocker

Yeah that's what it does.. I know that much. But in order to actually put it on one that didn't have it pre-installed is what I'm wondering, cause there's got to be some extra crap in there as far as levers go right?
  4. 2k8z71

From what I understood, there is nothing to do other than swapping the handle, having the key cylinder set to your key and install it all to the existing rods that are already in place that open and close the tailgate. But don't quote me on that. Best bet is to call the service dept and ask them.
  5. 08_rado_rocker

Interesting.. I'll have to look into that tomorrow if i wake up in time. thanks for the input
  6. 2k8z71

No problem. I want to put in a rear view camera on mine but I don't know if I could mount an aftermarket cam in the factory camera spot and run it to an aftermarket deck. It sure would be nice to have one though.
  7. 08_rado_rocker

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110541244700?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

They just use A/V cables bro.. any aftermarket deck has inputs for them. I'll be ordering mine shortly probably, going to be upgrading to stock GM Nav head unit.
  8. bluavalancheZ71

bluavalancheZ71 New Member

The locking gate handle is different than the non locking tail gate one. Its as simple as swapping the handle and the trim panel. And to code the key to the cylinder is as simple as insterting ur key and turning it 180 and its done. And the dealer offers the whole thing as a kit for like $75-100 if I remember right. Do let me know about hooking up thecammaera to an after market radio
  9. conroe

conroe Member

You can find the locking handle on ebay for around 40-50 bucks.
    Remove the three screws from inside the tailgate, and the handle and trim fall out. Just replace with new and attach screws.
    Insert you key into cylinder and turn 180 deg. (not shure which direction) Follow instructions. Then the cylinder is set to your key.
    Just look at craigslist the amount of tailgates that are for sale, (riped off) This option will keep yours from getting on craigslist
  10. 08_rado_rocker

Awesome. Only thing about that is.. i will only need the lock cylinder itself.. as the backup cam tailgate handle is a complete kit minus the cylinder. Thanks for the insight.. and as it comes about I will definitely see how adding the camera goes. Except mine wont me aftermarket.. it will be OEM.