1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need a twin turbo system for my 2004 chevy silverado 1500!

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Shakeablegoose, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Shakeablegoose

Shakeablegoose New Member

I have a 2004 chevy silverado 1500 that i am upgrading to the 5.3l engine because it has a high milage 4.8l in it but i want the 5.3l, anyway i am in need of a good twin turbo system or a good single turbo system that is reliable and is mounted in the engine compartment (NOT REMOTE MOUNTED!!!).
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

People turbocharge our trucks? Diesels, sure, but gassers? I had no idea...
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

4. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I was going to recommend supercharging it. Better torque curve and the supercharger whine is music to my ears
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I gotta agree, Superchargers just come off the line with a better power curve.
    Also Supercharger or Turbo I dont think the 5.3 would be my engine of choice, either type of forced induction is gonna be hard on the engine, I know the aluminium block 5.3 wouldnt hold up for long, and while the cast 5.3 is a little stronger I would be nervous unless I had a block with 4 bolt mains, thats a lotta horses to unleash and things could get ugly under the hood real quick.
  7. Orangesilvie

Orangesilvie New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
  8. mhazelwd

mhazelwd New Member

my thoughts exactly

I kind of miss my pro-charged 2004 Mach1. I totaled it in Feb 2010 and used the insurance to buy my 2007 Silverado. So I have been looking at Vortech, Whipple and some other options. The MOD situation for these trucks aren't as abundant as for Mustangs and considering all you need to do to them, it is probably just a pipe dream anyway. You know, fuel pump upgrade, injector upgrade, differental upgrade, exhaust upgrade... the blower and intercooler kit and possibly a transmission upgrade soon thereafter. Nice dream though. I was looking to see if anyone has done that sort of thing with the 4.8 but haven't seen much said about it. I have a great speed shop here so I may just pop by and get their take on all of it. Gas milage would be horrific with all of that done though.

mark
  9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

You all forget If your going to UP the power DO NOT forget things like Breaks, Sway bars, and anything else that would make your drive more enjoyable and safe...
  10. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Look into kenne bell for silverados. They have most everything you need,then beef up the tranny. The great thing bout a supercharger is if you lay off the boost you'll get pretty solid mpg. Don't go centrifugal it's a waste of money when you can get way more power out of a roots style supercharger, ie kenne bell and whipple