1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need advice on an Amp

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Dromlace, May 30, 2010.

1. Dromlace

Dromlace New Member

I'm looking at 2 Powerbass L-124D and some infinity speakers.

The sub's run 400-800 watts each, so I'm guessing about a 1800 watt amp?
    But about channels, what type of amp do I need?
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well a true 1800 watt amp will run you around $1200.00... Don't bother with a Sony,Pioneer,Kenwood amps that sat 1200 watts on them because all they will give you is about 300-500 watts at best...

Look at the HIGHER end JL Audio,Alpine,Rockford,Soundstream Their are a few others just remember a good amp is $1.00 + per watt....
  3. Dromlace

Dromlace New Member

I used to know a little bit about this stuff to get me by.. now I'm just getting a headache trying to decipher what comes off as a foreign language to me.

IF someone can just help me out here, I don't want to run a mix-matched like crazy system. 3 Brands is enough. So if someone can point me in the direction of a 1000-1200 watt amp for the subs(has to be small) and a 300 watt amp for the speakers. I wouldn't mind if it was powerbass powering powerbass, and infinity powering infinity.
  4. chevyman2004

chevyman2004 New Member 100 Posts

if it is just the 2 subs u want to power then a 2-channel amp is what u need (1 channel per sub). if u have two pairs of speakers then a 4-channel amp, one pair of speakers and an amp then a 3-channel amp and so on. I went to a website called testfreaks.com where they test everthing and Rockford Fosgate Punch was rated really high so that would be a good choice, whatever fits in ur budget man.
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  5. Dromlace

Dromlace New Member

Thank you, I appreciate it soo much.
  6. Enkeiavalanche

If you want true power 11.5-14 volts, 1.5-4 Ohms and a reliable amp.. Go with a Jl Audio 1000/1v2 That will give you 1000-1200 Watts all day long then the Jl Audio 300/4v2 Which will also give you 75x4 all day long... You will not beat them.... And they will give you years of reliable,Clean,Good sound if installed right...
  7. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member 100 Posts

Actually if you want to just power the subs you'll want a Mono Class D amplifier. Those are designed for subwoofers. If you want a amp for all then I would run a 5 channel amp. 4 lower wattage channels with the 5th being higher wattage.
  8. Enkeiavalanche

But he needs about 1000 watts for the subs.. There is no 5 Ch that has that much on the 5th ch..Most are 50x4 and 300x1. JL does have one that is 75x4 and 500x1.. But still not enough...They are good if you are running a SQ system with a good set of Comps up front a good coax for the rear and a single sub..
  9. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member 100 Posts

I didn't read the original post. I just read whatever it showed me in my email lol.

Yeah in this case a 5 channel amp will not be good. Just get a 4 channel amp with a mono class d amp. I also hate mixing brands so for amps, I like to keep them the same brand.

You may have posted this before, but what's your budget for an amp so we can pick out the best amp for your budget.
  10. Dromlace

Dromlace New Member

Let's say my budget's somewhere around.. don't break the bank.

I found a Kenwood 4 channel that put out 40 x 4, sound good for speakers? (I went to that test freaks website and they gave some good scores for kenwood speakers, but every car forum I've been on people scream infinity for speakers)
    Last edited: May 31, 2010