Need advice on new stereo

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by chiefholdem, Nov 17, 2008.

Newest Photos

1. chiefholdem

chiefholdem New Member

Hey yall, this is my first post so please bear with me, I need some advice. I have a 2008 1500 Crew Cab, and I'm looking to install a new stereo, preferably with GPS, and a DVD player in the back for the kids. I like the new Pioneer AVIC-F700BT model, it seems to do it all, CD, Bluetooth, GPS. I know the 900 series has DVD capabilities, but I'm not too worried about being able to watch movies while I'm driving. As far as the DVD player in the back I'm not a huge fan of the flip down screen due to the fact I lose my rear-view mirror, so I assume the next best thing would be the head rest monitors. I was thinking of getting the 900 series and connecting it to headrest monitors, but from what I hear, you have to get a special switch installed in order to play a movie while the truck is in drive, and then you risk getting tickets for having done so. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I'm all ears. I'm currently in Iraq, so it may take a little longer to reply so please keep that in mind.
  2. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the site and THANKS for serving! I have an older Chevy so the "new fangled" stuff didn't come in my '04 (might have been available, but it didn't come in mine!). I have seen the head rest monitors and can't think of why there would be a legal problem with them working while driving. If it was in the dash or in sight of the driver, maybe. I'm sure someone will chip in with some good info. for you. Hope you get home soon and safely!!
  3. chiefholdem

chiefholdem New Member

Thanks for the support Bob, and thanks for serving too. Hopefully I don't have too much longer out here, but I'm sure I'll come back (this is my second time to Iraq, and I've also been to Afghanistan). I look forward to getting some advice on what I should do. Thanks again.
  4. SlickMachine

SlickMachine New Member

Check out the Kenwood DNX-8120. From everyone I talk to and from what I read, its the best double-DIN unit out there. The interface is the best, 5v preouts, Nav built in, Bluetooth built in. I want one.
  5. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I think the legality of it stems from the fact that he wants to control the rear screens from the front player. I believe normally you are not able to play DVDs if the vehicle is in motion/out of park. Attempts to bypass that fact is frowned upon by The Man.

I don't think it would be a problem at all. I think there's a fat chance that you get pulled and get cited for that kind of setup.

In my way of thinking, though, I think you would be better off just setting an actual DVD player for the rear. You could put it under the front passenger seat, in the glove box, or in the back as usual. I think it would avoid a lot of hassles and would help keep your sanity intact...not only with install and logistics, but with still having your radio/CD/GPS functional while Shrek plays for the third time (fourth time that day if you include the first showing at the house).
  6. zach45

zach45 New Member 100 Posts

i have been looking into a dubble din for a while now, and kenwood seems to be the best model onthe market..
    the 81 series is top of the line built in bluetooth and all the goodies..
  7. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I found a GM full DVD / NAV system, with 2 headrest independant DVD screens meaning that each headrest had itrs own DVD player and screen. Total cost on Ebay was 1500 bucks.
  8. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

not to sound like a jerk but why didnt you just order all that from the factory and have it rolled into the cost of the truck, all that you talk of is availible from GM, if you go and buy all this out of pocket it will cost more then it would have if you would have just got it from the factory. so the real question is what is your budget? unless you can do all this yourself you can figure that 1/3 of your equipment cost will be labor and materials(wires, connectors) not to mention that if you cant do it yourself and say best buy does it and they screw up something on your truck, it could be a big hassle to get anything out of them