1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need advice on purchasing 04 Silverado!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by bigeshorte, Jun 23, 2009.

1. bigeshorte

bigeshorte New Member

What's going on guys. I'm 20 years old and I currently drive a 2002 Acura TL type S. I drove a 96 Tahoe untill summer of 2007 when gas prices were over 4 dollars a gallon and because of the drive to community college and back every day I could not afford gas so I had to get rid of it. I'm very happy with how my TL has treated me but this fall i'm transferring to a college where i'm going to be doing a lot of hunting/fishing and I know my TL is going to limit the things I can do so I've decided to pass it down to my brother and look for a truck. I have a family friend who is going to be selling his 2004 Silverado Z71 crew cab (with all options) with 35,000 miles this winter and I really want to take it off his hands. He will give me a better price than I could find elsewhere because we are close but I have a few questions:
    1. How are these on gas mileage?
    2. Do many people install Cold Air Intakes/Short Ram Intakes on these to improve HP/gas mileage? or are there any other upgrades to improve gas mileage?
    3. What are some problems with these trucks, (such as the 1999-2003 Acura TL's are notorious for having bad transmissions)
    4. How are they when it comes to maintenance? even up past 100,000 miles and farther...(if I get it I will have to keep it for a long time)
    5. Any other advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED along with any PRO's/CON's that you can list!

Thanks for all the help guys and I'm HOPEFULLY looking forward to owning this vehicle if i get overall good reviews on this vehicle.
    Thanks again! :)
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Well I'm not sure what motor you have in this truck, but generally the 6.0 gets 14mpg and the 5.3 gets 17-20mpg. The only kinda major thing I know of in these trucks is the intermediate steering shafts, I have had two of them replaced on my last truck but it's nothing too serious. Most people who have these trucks buy a programmer/tune, and an exhaust and an intake, that seems to be the big three modifications.

Welcome to the club! :glasses:
  3. Chevyman224

Chevyman224 New Member

what 6.0 do you have that gets 14mpg in the city? Most i can get is 11.4!
  4. bigeshorte

bigeshorte New Member

it has the 5.3, thanks for the advice! any others have any other advice?
  5. chevybulldog6

chevybulldog6 New Member ROTM Winner

I have a 2005 Z71 with the 5.3L. Stock I got around 17mpg. I then installed my intake and exhaust and it went up to around 19-20. Once I lifted it then I lost some of it of course.Intakes and exhaust kits are fairly cheap and easy to come buy. I have owned mine for almost three years now and have had to replace a hub assembly and a tie rod. But this was after I lifted it and I took it out to Louisiana Mudfest. So more than likely, I caused most of this. I had it for about two years before I lifted it and never had any problems. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it.
  6. Jomodeere

Jomodeere New Member

I ave an 05 Z71 and it gets abotu 18.3 around town when i drive like a turtle but 17 normally. I havent installed a cold intake yet but i plan to later on...and only 35k miles?! thats a steal! Mine has 103k and the maintenence isnt that hard. the only problems i had was when my speedometer got stuck at 60 for 2 weeks and only went up from there...but i say go for it man!
  7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Well I have had 2 of the same trucks over the past 6 years, and both of my 6.0 motors got 14.3 no matter what I did on the highway or in the city. Maybe you need a tune up, or there might be something making your truck not run right. We towed a 10,000 trailer last year with my truck, and it got 9.8 mpg which I thought was pretty good for that truck.
  8. nickgiacalone

nickgiacalone New Member

i get anywhere between 13-14 combined mpg and when i took a 700 mile round trip all highway road trip i was getting about 16.5 i'd have to agree with amy and say there is something not right with your truck
  9. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 New Member 1000 Posts

4.8 17-19 mpg
    5.3 14-16
    6.0 13-15

depends what driving habits you have.

also if you tune it and do some bolt ons you can get some mpg's out of it.
  10. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP New Member

it sounds like youve found a great truck.i got my 04 back in feb. and have no regrets.mine had 84000 with a 4.8 and im gettin about 14-19mpg.like 2tone04 says it just depends how you drive it.sometimes i drive it like i just robbed a bank and other times i can get up to 21 just takin it easy.if its in great condition go for it.especially with only 35000 miles.with the right tires you can go anywhere!and as said before plenty of different options to go with to try to squeeze a few more mpgs out of it.