Need advice. What to buy?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Pikey, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have a $50 off of $100 or more coupon for adavance autoparts that I have to use by the 21st. I need shocks for the truck (05 yukon xl). I wanted bilsteins but they don't carry them. I can get the monroe reflex mono tube from them. So do I just buy the reflex and be happy that I saved some cash? Am I going to be horribly disapointed with the reflex monotube? I don't really need anything else for the truck. I just did rear pads and rotors. I was thinking a new belt and a few other things but they don't add up to the $100 and it does not need a belt. Any thoughts on this? Get the reflex or do you have some other maintenance items that I have not thought of? Thanks for the help.

2. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Do what I do when I get a coupon for auto parts stores. I buy things I know I will need in the future. I may not need an oil change now but I will. Go buy some oil, an oil filter, a fuel filter, that engine belt, maybe a set of spark plugs, a pair of wiper blades, etc. You'll eventually need them so might as well save some money on them now while you can. Hell, buy several jugs of windshield washer fluid, lol. I go through that stuff pretty fast.

3. Pikey

I thought about that. But, I get my oil and filters for free. (Have 5 gallons of Fuchs 5w-30 synthetic oil in the garage now and enough filters for the life of the vehicle, plus 5 sets of Ac delco plugs, and a friend of mine works at trico so I have wiper blades for the next 3 years) My truck does not have a fuel filter, but if it did I would get that for free also.

4. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

fluids are always a good thing. power steering, coolant, tranny, rear end, transfer case, a case of blinker fluid is always good lol.

you get the idea

Alex

5. Pikey

Good call! I just ran out of blinker fluid. I will add that to the list along with a new set of muffler bearings