1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!
  1. rogainegt

rogainegt New Member

Just picked up a 99 Escalade, 5.7 Vortec - 145K miles- it was displaying a P1345 (cam timing) & P0161 (rh/rr O2) code.
    Corrected timing, cleared codes and she ran much better.
    Full tune up... The old #'s 4 & 6 plugs looked dark & sooty... the rest were perfect.

Noticed a bit of smoke when it first fires up... but not blue.
    O.K. - at first I'm thinking spider or injectors (pintles).
    But, it looks more like condensation. Oil is dirty, but is not milky (as is oil cap).

PCV & vent cap have a bit milky residue though.

Runs well, but a tiny bit of a rough idle. Decent power - now.
    Drove 30 miles, and set a different rear O2 & RH cat converter code.

All codes are on the RH side, a bit of moisture inside the engine ventilation system, #4 & #6 plugs dirty

I believe I have heard of intake gaskets doing this before... can anyone verify?
    Pulling intake this evening - would love some verification
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

have you cleaned the MAFS?
  3. rogainegt

rogainegt New Member

Inspected the MAF (no K&N thank goodness)

Weird that its only on those 2 cylinders (4&6)
    Pintels look respectable, every intake port looks like there is fuel delivery
    Not much carbon build-up inside... gonna split the plenum tomorrow & clean iac ports & egr circuit

No missfire or lean/rich codes, but every time I set a code, it's different, but always on RH bank.
    After I button it up, gonna replace the temp switch & the rh-rr O2 sensor anyway

Just hoping an intake set might help - don't wanna pull the head