1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need after market radiator suggestions 89 Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Big6ft6, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Big6ft6

Big6ft6 Rockstar 100 Posts

I need recommendations from anyone who has purchased an aftermarket radiator that has fit in their 73-91 suburban using the OEM mounts.

When I go to auto parts stores/websites, they seem to have 15 different options that are all "gauranteed" to fit. They mostly seem to revolve around either a 17" high core, or a 19" core. I have a 19" core, but I ordered one of these and it didn't fit, it was like 1/4 inch too tall and the OEM rubber pads and mounting clamps didn't fit to hold it in place.

I've worked and worked using the specs that are listed for vairous alternatives and they all seem to have similar specs and I don't want to go through the hassle (and shipping expense) of trial and error shopping.

Can anyone suggest a radiator that was truely a bolt-in fit??

Thanks!!
  2. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I got the one for my 97 Yukon from radiator classic off of ebay there was a couple of different models listed but one was a deisel and the other was gas and then there was the 2 row vs the one. I got the 2 row for $79 and it worked out so well the mechanic got one for his caddy from them.!

Give us some specifics on the truck as to the year and the engine and any options like coolers or AC and Im sure we can help you figure something out.
  3. scgamer_99

scgamer_99 Rockstar

4. Big6ft6

Thanks guys my Burb is a 89 V2500 with a 5.7L w/AC

I can find lots of listing for radiators for this exact truck, but theres is always a bunch listed how do I choose? And each vendor lists dimensions slightly differently, and like I said, I ordered one that was supposedly exactly for my truck...and I thought sounded closest to my exact dimensions, but it was too tall by just a little bit, but it made a big difference.

Now I look at others listed by lots of different vendors/shops and they all have similar dimensions as the one that didn't fit.

However, I think they might all be made slightly different and I'm sure some really do "drop in".

I'm just skeptical now of the "gauranteed to fit" statement becuase one already didin't.

Maybe my problem is trying to use the OEM mounting hardware...is there some other good method to mount the radiator if I get one that is clse in size? It seems like a big pain becuase my fan shroud is also dependant on the radiator mounting clamps. So if I used some other mounting method, I'd then have to figure out a new way to mount my fan shroud.

This is why I was hoping someone with an 89 burb actually has ordered and installed a certain model that worked well.

Thanks for all ideas and help.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  5. Dr_Zero

Ok I looked over the different models listed on Rock Auto and you said its a 19 inch there are a couple of 19's listed and one it really a 20 the other is a 19.25 and just listed as 19.

The one for trucks with a AT and AC is listed as 19.25 in size.

Look at this one does this look like the one you have now?

[​IMG]

Here are the two part numbers and you can see the slight difference in size check on yours the width also that will help to know also which one.

http://www.pliii.com/catalog?searcher[year]=1989&searcher[make]=CHEVROLET&searcher[model]=V2500+SUBURBAN&searcher[engines]=1301308&searcher[part_type]=Radiator&search_vehicles=SEARCH
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Part Number
    Make
    GM
    Construction
    Copper Brass
    Core Size
    28 3/8 x 19 1/4 x 2
    Number Of Rows
    Mount Type
    Channel
    Inlet Location
    Top Left
    Outlet
    1 9/16
    Outlet Location
    Bottom Right
    Tank Inlet Size
    2 3/8 x 18 5/8
    Tank Outlet Size
    2 3/8 x 18 5/8
    Hose Inlet Size
    1 5/16
    Transmission Oil Cooler
    8 1/2
    Comments
    Heater Return Line & Coolant Level on RH Tank

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Part Number
    Make
    GM
    Construction
    Plastic Tank Aluminum Core
    Core Size
    28 3/8 x 21 x 1 1/4
    Number Of Rows
    Mount Type
    Channel
    Inlet Location
    Top Left
    Outlet
    1 9/16
    Outlet Location
    Bottom Right
    Tank Inlet Size
    2 3/8 x 20 5/8
    Tank Outlet Size
    2 3/8 x 20 5/8
    Hose Inlet Size
    1 5/16
    Transmission Oil Cooler
    8 1/2
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  6. Big6ft6

The one I purchased before from Rock Auto was the CU1599. I am considering the 433716 from rockauto now, but am nervous as it looks almost identical to the CU1599.

I guess it all depends on what eactly the "core" is. The fin-tube area on my OEM radiator is axactly 19" from top to bottom, but there are also some rails above and below the fin-tube area of the core on the radiator, if I include those, then the "core" is 20.5" high. The core is approx 1.25 inches thick.

The critical deminsion is the ridge between the core and the tanks on each end of the radiator. It is the "ridge" that the OEM clamps use to hold the radiator in place, and the OEM rubber mounting pads are molded to go over this ridge/seam between the core and tanks, and these aftermarket radiators have seems that are too thick and too tall to use the OEM hardware...at least the one I bought was...and these other all look similar.

I really think I've done everything I can investigating the right radiator using the specs listed on websites and such...I'm really hoping someone can tell me about one they installed successfully, otherwise we're all just playing the same guessing game I've been trying to play.

thanks for all your help though...it helps to see someone else came up with the 433716 also...but does it make sense that a 3/4 ton truck came with a 1-row radiator?
  7. Dr_Zero

The one you bought from Rock Auto comes up as a 20 inch high and you said it was too tall right?

So I would look at Part Number 438716 its shorter than the other you got before.
    That being said I will bow out and let the experts here help you

[​IMG]
  8. Jacqson

Jacqson Rockstar 100 Posts

Why don't you just take your Rad to a shop and have it rebuilt. That way your sure it will fit back into your truck. I did that with my 91 because it was such a hassle to find a new one that fit.