1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Need answer...how to remove original Z71 decal...is it clearcoated over?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by buckmeister2, Feb 7, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Hi, guys,

i looked through the how-to and other sections on this, but only found answers regarding add-on stuff, like dealer badges, wind visors, etc. I want to replace my original z71 decals, but don't know if they were applied before the clearcoat, or after.

I know how to use a heat gun, fishing line, goof-off, etc, so can do that, if the decal is on top of clearcoat.

Thanks, all.

jim, las vegas

2. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I would think the body has been painted already before the decals and mouldings were put on. I removed the rear bow tie on the tail gate this past weekend and it looks way better. I plan on removeing the bed decals and stickers this weekend.

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Should be after a little Heat Gun action should do it...

4. nobbsy

nobbsy New Member

I’m not aware of any way to remove a decal that has been placed under a clear coat layer, without first taking off the clear coat. However, if you only take off a small section of clear coat, you will get a none even finish and won’t look good.

I understand you are aware of how to remove decals. I would try

1. A Metal razor blade: cheap and easy way to do small areas. Downside is danger of cutting your finger and slower speed
    2. A Plastic razor blade: (e.g wonder blade) made of plastic so no chance of cutting yourself. Downside is cost. Better for painted surfaces where a metal razor blade is not appropriate
    3. Wonder Wheel: (e.g. wonder wheel) excellent for large stickers that need to be removed. More used by professionals who need to take off large sized stickers or large volume
    4. Hair dryer: good for larger stickers, though not old baked on stickers that have been in the sun. Works best on stickers that have been on the surface less than 12 months

If you want to see demonstrations of how a decal can be quickly removed, see www.decalstickerremover.com

To remove any adhesive once the decal has been removed is with a citrus degreaser or product like “goo off” or “un-do adhesive”.. Check out your local home depot for some citrus degreaser. Be careful to check the strength first as the stronger degreasers can damage the plastic whereas product like “un-do adhesive” work fairly well

5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I have never tried this but they say a hair dryer will be good to loosen the adhesive. if this does work then the paint under the decal will not match.

I would have the decal replaced as oem. save some work. I am sure those decals are expensive .

I do have a heat gun but that is too much power ....I have used it to pop out those plastic bumpers ...

6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You should be good to go. Mine didn't need anything except a little heat and some pulling stretching of the decal while I worked. (i.e. No fishing line, no goof off, etc.) It was a LOT easier than debadging. Hopefully yours goes as well.

7. JeffsChevy

JeffsChevy New Member

I had Mine removed and another replaced (Differant Color). It is not clear Coated over.

8. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

As others have said they come off really easily, a hair dryer is all you need. There will be a little adhesive residue left but is comes off with minimal effort and some Goo-gone. Today's clear coat paints are pretty fade resistant so you should be fine. I removed my moldings and decals after 6 years and there was no fade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Thanks, all. I got the answers I needed. I am going to remove the original, and replace with a body-colored, slightly different version. Thanks, again.

jim