Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

need ATF / transfer case fluid for 06 B engine 1500 Silverado

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by stickershock, Aug 13, 2009.

1. stickershock

stickershock New Member

re: 2006 1500 5.3 L "B" engine (323 cubic inch) Silverado (automatic transmission)

Would someone kindly tell me what Dexron ATF is used for the above truck? Also, what's used in the transfer case. A call to a dealer may be my last resort for official fluids and capacities.

The used truck did not come with an owner's manual and I have had a terrible time finding one on-line in pdf. file format. All I found was an owners manual that had 32 pages full of pictures and that isn't what I need.

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

There is only one Dextron now. It's Dexrton 6. You can use it in your trans and transfer case. A better option would be a good synthetic ATF like Amsoil, Mobil 1, Red Line or Royal Purple. Make sure you get the one that's compatable with Dextron.

3. stickershock

stickershock New Member

I checked Autozone and O'Reily websites and they also advise ATF Dextron 6.

The transfer case gear oil O'Reily advises is GLS, which I found out is a synthetic gear oil. My mechanic was going to use Mobil 1 75W-90.

4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That's correct. Use Synthetic 75-90 in the transfer case.

5. stickershock

stickershock New Member

thanks for the advice.