1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need better fuel mileage

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by wmc0461, Oct 13, 2010.

1. wmc0461

wmc0461 New Member

I have a 2006 Z71 and was trying to figure out some ways to get better fuel mileage. Right now I'm getting about 12-13 with an intake and flowmasters. I'm running 305/70/17 nitto's. Any help would be great.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Probably not gonna be the answer you want but here goes:
    When it comes down to dollars and cents it might not be practical to get a lot better mileage out of your truck.
    Driving habits will account for the largest increase, drive it smoothly and at or just below the speed limit, easy on the gas and coast as much as possible.
    Less rolling resistance on the tires would help ( smaller/lighter tires).
    Less weight in the truck, get rid of anything you dont need to carry around.
    If the trucks lifted lower it back down and lessen the wind ressistance.
    Make sure the engine is properly tuned and all the lubricating oils are properly changed.
    Any additions that cost $ will need to be weighed against the amount they cost, a couple hundred dollars worth of parts will take a lot of mileage to recoup.
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

that seems kinda low. do you do a lot of city driving cuz that will hurt. I also think the nittos are heavy tires. I am getting that mileage with my truck, but I do mostly highway. Yours should be getting better than i do.
  4. clgoch187

clgoch187 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

if you want to keep bigger tires, get some with a less aggressive tread pattern and that will help a little.
    and what kind of roads are you driving on for the most part will effect it a lot too, hill and turns consume more fuel.
    also what motor do you have? im getting 17-19 an avg. with my 4.8.
  5. wmc0461

wmc0461 New Member

I do almost all city driving. I also pull a sixteen foot lawn trailer and get about 10-12 when I do
  6. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

with the setup and driving you do there might not be much to do to help fuel economy. with 33's a gear may be beneficial (to a numericaly higher). it may help in the city as the truck wont have to work so hard to get moving, but will rev higher on the highway decreasing highway mileage. but that is an expensive way.
  7. wmc0461

wmc0461 New Member

The tires I have aren't that aggressive and I live in south Louisiana so...

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

The gears in it right now are 3.42s what would be the best upgrade to go with
  8. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Have you corrected for the extra height of those tires? They must be almost 34" tall- big tires.
    If they are 2" taller than stock that would be almost 1 more mpg.
  9. wmc0461

wmc0461 New Member

...and what about programers. It has 76k miles would any maint. help

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Corrected how?
  10. Sam_A

Sam_A Rockstar 100 Posts

When I put the Bakflip Tonneau cover on my 04 Z71 my mpg's increased by 2 mpg on the highway. I'm saving up to get a cover for my "new" truck.

----- edit ----

It's not the cheapest solution, but it does help and it will help protect the things in your truck bed.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010