1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Need brake help; soft pedal

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by kk wilson4, May 1, 2013.

1. kk wilson4

kk wilson4 New Member

need help put in a new master to fix soft brake pedal no good keep going to the floor bleed them 1/2 of gallon
    of fulid all 4 no good can u help,

2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!

I moved your thread to the correct section and modified your title to fit your topic. This will help you in getting more response/opinions.

Good Luck!

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

did you bench bleed it before you installed it? if not then that is most likely your issue.

4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

this was my thought. The master needs to be bench bled first.

5. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

same issue on my truck, though i paid someone to do it... so you can imagine my frustration.

i had 3 different shops bleed the truck, including the chevy dealership before we find a wheel clynder was cracked!
    after changing it and trying again the pedal seemed to be fixed........ now im back to square one with a mushy as hell pedal... new master, new rubber lines for the calipers and axle, and new wheel clynder...

its obvious there is air in the system but how its creeping in perplexing... pisses me off... any ideas?

6. dsfloyd

After this I might think that there is possible a soft spot in a brake line. so when you step on the brake the rubber hose bulges/expands. Not sure the easiest way to inspect this other than having someone put pressure on the lines and then visually inspect. Also maybe physically squeeze the lines to check for softness (similar to a radiator hose). I would think if there was somewhere that was allowing air in it would also leak fluid out.

7. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

What year is the truck? I'm not an expert with master cylinders but many are vacuum assisted. Be sure the all hoses are good and do not have any vacuum leaks.

8. K15 Blazer Guy

found the problem.... rear brake line end was cracked where it plugged into the wheel cylinder
    replaced both, now it seems to be ok....... but the ABS light is now on...

found it because there was a never ending supply of air coming out of the bleed screw while the other side was solid fluid

9. dsfloyd

glad you found the problem as well [MENTION=54658]K15 Blazer Guy[/MENTION]. May try resetting the ABS light and see if it comes back on now that you have fixed an issue in the braking system.

10. K15 Blazer Guy

i may just put a piece of electrical tape over the warning light lol XD
    i hate the ABS
    trucks today hardly let you control anything yourself. drive by wire. on star engine control. ABS. traction control.... all government mandated crap for people who dont know how to drive
    lol