1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need brake setup suggestions

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by browenb, Mar 2, 2009.

1. browenb

browenb New Member

It's time to replace rotors and pads on my 04 Silverado.

I'd like to increase braking performance without having to change calipers, or tire size.

I've read negative and positive posts about drilled, slotted, cross drilled, and drilled/slotted rotors.

Anyone have anything constructive to mention in here? Reason for the upgrade is that I'm going to be hauling a trailer for most of the spring / summer, and it's always better to stop quicker.
  2. ct9a

ct9a New Member 1000 Posts

I would suggest going with one of the configurations you mentioned, just for the added heat dissipation. If you're worried about warpage and weakening of the rotor due to cross drilling, then get dimpled. You'll also want a rotor that has a good internal vein design as this will further increase heat dissipation. And remember to get decent pads.
  3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts

idk about drilled and slotted rotors haven't seen them on a truck before i would just get the extreme duty pads and rotors
  4. browenb

browenb New Member

What I've heard is that the slotted rotors wear out the pads much quicker then simply the cross drilled / drilled. Can anyone atest to this?

As far as the extreme duty goes, is that what is found on an HD truck? I haven't heard of this before.

Would a 1500HD rotor and pads fit a regular 1500 caliper and hub?
  5. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This weekend I installed a SSBC Brake kit with slotted rotors and premium pads on all 4 wheels that came as a complete kit from Autoanything.com. It was around $459 (free shipping) and my Wife is very impressed at how well her suburban stops now.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  6. browenb

browenb New Member

Well, I've decided to go with a set of EBC Yellow Stuff pads.
    They are supposed to have the greatest bite of the EBC pads.

I took a look at my rotors, they look to be fine, I don't experience any play in the pedal from a warped rotor, so I think I'm just going to hit the pads for now.

Thanks for the input, I think SSBC is the way to go when I put the lift on and the 20's though, seem to have a great product.
  7. mhevezi

mhevezi New Member

I felt the same way about the brakes on my '04 1500, so I found these on E-bay, and I thought I'd give them a try:

http://stores.ebay.com/Brakemotive

They sell a complete package of four, zinc-plated, cross-drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads for the front and rear for $256, with free shipping. The only thing not included are the rear brake shoes for the parking brake.

So far, I have swapped the front rotors & pads and did the proper break-in on the new pads & rotors and intially, they didn't feel any stronger than stock, but after a few hundred miles, they feel much better and seem to stop stonger than stock. I haven't done any seriously hard driving or long distance towing downhill to test their resistance to fade, but the rotors should resist fade much better than the non-drilled stock rotors.

As soon as I get the shoes for the rears, I'll swap out the rears and report back in a month or so, when I have a more than a thousand miles on them.

So far I very happy with the new setup. :great: