Need emergency help - power window won't go up!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by McClintoc, Aug 19, 2014.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

2001 Silverado LS.

I put my driver - side window down on the way home from work and when I got home it wouldn't go up. My door locks still work and the passenger side window still works. I checked the fuse and the wires and they are good. I am pretty sure it's the motor.

Ho do I get the window up until I can get a new motor???

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Clint, it could be the motor, it could be be the switch (this is assuming it is an electrical problem and not just the glass stuck in the track).

The motors may be repairable, I saw a thread (maybe on here) where someone cleaned the motor armature and it worked.

The switches are the big problem, leave a window (or a door) open in the rain and if they get wet, the switches will short out.

Sometimes, the switch assembly from the passenger's door will operate the driver's window (you need to unplug both and swap 'em).

3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

McClintoc....x2 on what RayVoy has mentioned, the same-thing happened on my truck, with the Driver-Side Window, I thought it was the Motor, but it turned out to be the Switch....

Pikey likes this.
  4. McClintoc

I don't think it's the switch or at least not the whole switch assembly. The switch still operates the door locks and the passenger window. If the switch was bad, would it not work at all or is it possible for just the button to the driver window to not work and the rest of the switch to still work?

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Very possible, it depends upon where the water got in. I had water in an assembly and the mirror switch stopped working.

A quick check with a volt meter would tell ya, if there is voltage at the motor, the motor is the problem, no voltage, look at the switch.

6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Clint.......On my Truck the Power Door Locks and the Power Passenger Window still worked, only the Driver-Side Power Window was not working, replaced the Switch, and I was good to go....

Pikey likes this.
  7. McClintoc

Well, it's not the switch.

I called O'Rileys and they had one in stock (for $100 when they are $20 on Amazon :gasp:) so I went quick to get it before they closed. I swapped out the new one and the window still won't go up. I'm gonna take it to my local mechanic and have him figure out what is wrong and fix it. I would do it myself but I am heading out of town Thursday night and need it done ASAP. This is just bad timing...

I hope it doesn't rain tonight. There is a 20% chance...grrrrr!

8. McClintoc

You've got to be kidding me!!!!

I took my truck to my local guy this morning. He called me about 20 minutes ago and asked what the problem was. The window is going up and down just fine for him. WTF?!?!?!?

9. McClintoc

I went and picked up my truck from my mechanic during my lunch break. The window seems to work just fine...

It's nice that it's working again but I'm not too happy about not knowing what the problem was. It could easily happen again. At least my mechanic didn't charge me anything.