1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need everyones help ~ Idling Issues

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by MTM, Sep 11, 2012.

1. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

It does not draw air from under the hood. It is a COLD AIR INTAKE. it and the original intake draws air from a hole in the radiator support. A hole that is behind the right headlight.

I don't know if you have/had a restriction, or not, but I suggested that you look for an restriction in the old thread, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/97520-Crazy-Idle-Issues#axzz26DAzginx you blew me off and opened a second thread. And, I see, with a little searching, that this is thread #3 http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/97165-Problems-at-Idle#axzz26DAzginx

You changed the radiator and now it appears to be ok, you probably removed whatever was restricting the air flow when you changed the radiator.

If someone else changed the radiator, you may never know what was causing the problem; but, at least, you could have taken a look to see if there was an restriction, instead of arguing with people trying to help you.
  2. MTM

MTM Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Wasn't blowing you off at all. I changed the radiator and MAF sensor at the same time. Just don't see what could be blocking it there's nothing around my intake

100MEDIA$IMAG0099.jpg
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Ok, explaining that and providing this pic might have helped you a couple of threads ago.

That does not look to be installed in the correct location. The idea of a cold air intake is to get air that is not inside the engine compartment.
    The opening of the CIA needs to face a hole in the radiator support. When you close the hood, you are closing off the air intake.

Look where the old intake was mounted, there should be a hole in the radiator support. You need to move your CIA to that hole, so the intake can breathe
  4. MTM

Nope that's how it's supposed to be you can look on all these old bodies that's how they mount. The factory one with the closed in box used to suck from the inner fender. Sorry but you can't tell me it doesn't breath because you can hear the large amount of air getting sucked in.
  5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Still you need to check if the stock intake is blocked in anyway because the CAI if pulling air from there as well and at idle the fan doesn't draw as much air but at speed it does. That's the point [MENTION=54249]RayVoy[/MENTION] is trying to make. the factory air intake tube in the fender that leads to the front of the truck behind the right park light.
    Here's a picture:
    air-intake-system-tc0303501.png
  6. MTM

Thanks for all the input. I figured it out the dealership put the MAF sensor in backwards I pulled it all apart just now and flipped it over and it was backwards
  7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

that sucks. they even put a direction arrow on those usually. hopefully that fixes it all.
  8. MTM

Yea I would've done it myself but the autoparts store would have taken a week to get in and i needed it that day. Runs perfect now thanks everyone. This forum is a big help
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

At least it was something simple. That's an interesting effect from the MAF sensor being reversed; I'd have expected it to run like crap with the hood open as well as when shut...
  10. MTM

Me to. That's what was so crazy about all this is it ran great and never had a problem with the performance aspect. Like i said above breaking 33's loose wasn't a problem it was just at idle.(Just to note I don't burnout but does walk a little when it down shifts to pass someone)