Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

need help asap! 2000 Silverado rear end clunking

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by reggiecab2000, Jan 18, 2013.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

was picking up a friend from his house and all of a sudden leaving the last stop light before getting back to my apartment, i hear a horrible clunking sound from somewhere around my driveshaft.
    heres a video i shot real quick, let me know if you can help me diagnose it please, i dont think i should be driving my truck in this condition....

i have had that notorious clunking sound in the rear end for a while now when you depart a stop light, but this continuous clunking literally popped out of nowhere, it happens in drive and reverse.
  2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

not sure dude. u joints or the rear end maybe....

ring gear?

im not a good person for this kind of stuff..

Alex
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It sounds like the rear end to me. Can you put your hand on it and "feel the sound"? That is the only way I can describe it. Can you feel the clunking in the rearend? You can try putting a long prybar in between the yokes and see it you get any movement in the u-joints. I have also seen the bushing in the back of the trans (where the slip yoke slides in) go bad. When I have seen those bad they only clunk on stop and accel.

- - - Updated - - -

So, I listened to it multiple times. It could be a ujoint. It is really hard to tell in a video. Why don't you park it on level ground, block the tires and pull off the drive shaft. It will take you 5 minutes. That way you can manipulate the joints by hand and see if they feel crunchy. If it is a u joint it should be pretty obvious.
  4. reggiecab2000

its not the U-joints, i just pulled the driveshaft, and they are good...

its inside that hole where the slipyoke slides in...

heres a video

i tried to have a steady hand, but you really cant see anything with it anyway, with my ears i can hear the clunking in there, and if you have good eyes, you can see that shaft in there not rolling PERFECT, though i do not know if a brand new one should roll perfect or have SOME play or not. but with my hand on the tranny, i feel the clunking.....

:(

sounds expensive.......
  5. reggiecab2000

*bump*
    to anyone who might have an idea, and also if it indeed does end up being a complete rebuild, does anyone have any suggestions for upgrades or anything to add while its being rebuilt, ive heard talk of servos and such, anything that might make it better and prolong the life of my transmission.
    thanks
    gotta wait till tomorrow morning before i can get anywhere near a transmission shop
  6. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Sorry I listened to both, at the first video it appeared to me that you had no play in the front U joint. Second video...Sorry I don't even want to guess.
    What I would do is take a long handled screw driver hold it to my ear and with it in drive place the metal end on the Tranny case at the end clossest to the drive shaft and the plastic end firmly on your ear (I also find it works better if you have one of those foam ear plugs in). move the metal end around and listen to where it sounds the loudest and then you may gain an idea what may be an issue if you have a drawing of some sort you may have a better idea. Sorry I realize this isn't much help!

Keep us posted!
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

There should be a tail piece on the end of the tranny, it is removed when a transfer case is installed. If your lucky, the problem is in the tail piece and not the main body of the tranny.
  8. reggiecab2000

dropped my truck off at the transmission shop today, should be getting a call tomorrow!
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yikes.... :grrrrrr:
  10. reggiecab2000

they called back!
    they said they found evidence of a needle bearing in the planetary gear set that fell apart :/
    complete rebuild...

they quoted $1953.24

shop,labor,etc.

with a 3-year, 75,000 mile warranty...

is this a good price guys?