1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

need help asap! 2000 Silverado rear end clunking

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by reggiecab2000, Jan 18, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

2. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member 100 Posts

Ah I see. I had come across that site too, but the way it was set up made me question the authenticity and reliability of it. Anyone have experience?
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I actually found it on the forum here. I will see if I can find the thread again.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/27433-Transmission-Temp-Gauge/page2?highlight=escalade+temp+gauge

- - - Updated - - -

I think that if I were to do it I would go with the SS cluster.
    Here is a pic of what @chevybulldog6 has in his truck
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/album.php?albumid=2907&attachmentid=22218

- - - Updated - - -

I very rarely drive over 70mph so the 120mph would not really matter. Plus, I would have to change the speed limiter with my programmer. Not a big deal, but I feel like a truck the size of my Yukon xl never needs to go that fast. Matter of fact I should look at my programmer and see if I can lower the set speed.
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

For what it's worth I have a 2004 4l60e with the billet corvette servos, and the transgo HD2 valve body reprogramming kit (shift kit). I have HPtuners and I experimented with the transmission a little bit, all I can say is holy cow!!! Max line pressure, and altered shift points equal a damn good time lol!! I tuned it back down, because it would shift so hard that it felt like the driveshaft was going to rip right out....

On a side note I learned something today, I had no idea the Dexron VI was synthetic. That's what I just bought for my HHR SS, what's weird is when I had my transmission rebuilt by REDLINE performance they would not warranty it using synthetic??? I am using regular transmission fluid which I'm fine with, and I also have a 40k cooler with electric fan setup.
  5. reggiecab2000

For what it's worth asking, how do you like the shift kit? I'm not into neck snapping shifts, as I definitely do not want to harm anything in my transmission, but I also can have my truck retuned by blackbear. Basically right now is my only chance to tell my shop to put the shift kit in or not, or ill probably never do it since the tranny has to be pulled. Now as I said before solid, firm shifts are welcomed, but my only question is would the shift kit be too much for me or would you recommend it for everything from daily driving, to a stop light drag? Basically I drive to school and work, and 1-2 times a month drive 160 miles, and of course some Friday or Saturday nights ill let loose on my truck and be pinned on the throttle all night.
    I just want to make sure I make the right decision lol because it's one or the other.
    And pikey, yeah I see your point on the speedo, but the only thing is when you switch to an escalade or ss cluster they only come in 120 mph lol

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note pikey I emailed that cluster site. Ill update with how it goes.
  6. TRPLXL2

The kit itself was only $150.00, BUT the labor they charged was more than what the kit cost lol!! We were going to do the shift kit ourselves, BUT there was a ton of modification as far as drilling the valve body, reaming holes for larger accumulator pistons and so on.

I absolutely love the shift kit, BUT one suggestion. If you do the shift kit don't do the servos, I think it actually makes the 1-2 shift softer for some reason. Transgo makes several moderate kits for daily driving, they have a "towing" application which offers all around firmer shifting and is much gentler on the transmission.

I am also running a 3000 stall converter in my transmission, the HD-2 is not really a good choice for a daily driver. Mine is used for street racing/strip, red lights, etc. I am currently sourcing a spare 4l60e just in case.....
  7. reggiecab2000

GOT MY TRUCK BACK TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!

out the door price was $1992.13

included the complete rebuild and I asked them to replace the rear main seal, as well as install the corvette servo
    with a 3-year, 75,000 mile warranty, and two-weeks from now I am scheduled to bring it in for a transmission inspection to have them final check everything from bolts to leaks, and to make sure everything is shifting correctly. seems proper.

i dont notice any difference in shifting from 1-2 (maybe even looser :O)
    but definitely the 2-3 firmed up and it is very nice, although on oregonperformancetransmission.com, it is advertised to firm up the 1-2 & 2-3 shifts.

still hoping my truck will last forever!!!!! she is still my first and only :)
  8. TRPLXL2

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks the corvette servos make it shift softer, mine does the same thing unless I bump the line pressure up. That's not a bad price I don't think, transmission work is expensive anyways.
  9. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

looks to me like you have a bad bearing
  10. reggiecab2000

on a side note....
    my rear end clunking is gone too!
    across all the forums i spent searching about the notorious "slip-yoke" clunk, everyone says how it does not adversely affect any components and they all insist it harms nothing, but is just annoying.

I say NAY to every single one of you to that, because i have had the clunk MAYBE once a month since 2008, but over the last two months it randomly started doing it after EVERY stop, which I believe must be a direct culprit for the needle bearing going out.

My take on this is...
    If your truck is making a sound it shouldnt, how on earth can you say its just a noise, and it wont harm anything? If its making a "clunk" or noise that shouldnt be there, there IS a problem and you should tend to it.

I dont see how some people say they have driven over 100,000 miles with the GM slip-yoke clunk and nothing bad has happened