1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

need help asap! 2000 Silverado rear end clunking

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by reggiecab2000, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I thought that many people said that the clunk goes away for awhile after lubing the slip yoke. If that is true, could it be that your clunk is temporarily gone because they lubed the slip yoke when they reassembled it?
  2. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I did indeed think about that possibility, but......
    I'd like to think its gone forever! obviously if it comes back I will update.
  3. reggiecab2000

2 week checkup at the transmission shop today!!!
    everything is doing great :)
  4. reggiecab2000

crap...
    i think my clunk is slowly coming back....
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Did you grease the slip yoke? Hope you have a good warranty! :happy:
  6. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I would look in the junk yard for a low mileage one.
  7. reggiecab2000

havent done that yet... its not doing it all the time like before but i think it is doing it every once in a while, i will keep monitoring it.

if it is indeed temporarily fixed by lubing the slip yoke as people say, then that sucks, because it only lasted 2.5 months after the rebuild if that is the case...

im wondering, give a piece of yalls mind on this.....

would adding trac bars or ladder bars eliminate (or mostly eliminate) the silverado rear end clunk?
  8. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I know that on my 2009 I had a weird rear end clunk when I would accelerate and quickly de accelerate & accelerate again the rear end would make a bad clunk. After I made some ladder bars it didn't do it any more. I had heard of the grease the yoke thing for a quick fix. I haven't heard the clunk since installing the ladder bars.