Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Need help asap!! Head lights dont work!!

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by bvogts25, Nov 30, 2010.

1. bvogts25

bvogts25 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a very bad situation on my hands. After installing these new lights View attachment 22922

one side of the HIDs went out day after i put them in then today the other HID stopped working. I checked the fuses and sure enough both fuses blew. idk if it relates, but i wired the new lights to a fuse for the orange running lights. im thinking im asking for too much power out of the lights circuit and it causing me to blow fuses. but i disconnected the new ligths in hopes to just run my hids but now im blowing fuses just on the hids. but when i put a new fuse in and put the factory bulb in the fuse held up. im stumped on what it could be. does anyone have any suggestions or what i can do to help this? i need to get this fixed asap because i would like my HID lights back running. thanks in advance.

2. ChivaLRy

ChivaLRy Rockstar

Hey man your attachment doesn't work.... Just to clear something up, how did you wire the HIDs to run on the amber running light circuit? And why didn't you just run them off the normal headlight circuit? Hope we can help ya out...

3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

look into a relay kit for the HID's. they only cost a couple dollars, pulls power from the battery (still hooked to headlight switch) and has a fuse. dont run it on the amber lights. even without the relay dont run them off the sidemarker fuse, try running it like it should be installed (ballast connected to the headlight connector). the relay is just for those that have trouble drawing enough power from the stock power.

I have HID's (wifes car) on the headlights with a relay and the fogs are HID without a relay. No issue getting enough power to either. I initially did the relay to be safe, but wasnt necessary. they are both on at the same time when driving.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  4. bvogts25

ok let me try the attachment again 5a.jpg (these are the new lights)

ive had my hids in for 11 months and havent had a problem with them. they were hooked up to the normal headlights (i may have confused you there). these new LEDs are the the ones i wired into the oragne marker lights and are causing all the problems.

so since i hooked these up it has caused my hids to stop working for some reason. and i know there is still power going to the headlights because i put a factory bulb back in to try and find the problem was and it lit up fine. stupid me, looked back at the directions to installing the new leds and they sai you need a 12V wire off the battery or something along those line. so do you think i messed up my ballasts or somthing else?

5. ChebyMang

ChebyMang New Member

Maybe if you install a relay with them hooked up their it will work.

6. ChivaLRy

ChivaLRy Rockstar

Hmmm... that's confusing. Hey what amp fuzes are you using on those running lights? I am running hy halos off the running light circuit and never have blown a fuze. Other than that I have no clue what's goin on. Sorry I'm useless! lol :neutral: Hope ya get it figgured out...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  7. bvogts25

stock it has 20 amp fuses, and i didnt mess with those at all. but its really weird because its blowing the head light fuses when i didnt really add anything to them. the orange running lights still work fine. i even tried putting a 25 amp in for the headlight circuit and it blew that right away. ill have some time to mess with it more at the end of the week. i really wan to get it fix though. i miss my HIDs :frown:

8. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Ok so it was when the LEDs were installed. if the LEDs call for a relay I would do that, but since both HIDs went it could possibly have messed up the ballasts. search for bench testing the HID ballasts (dont remember off the top of my head how to do it) or if you have a car custom shop they may have the equipment to test the ballast. fortunately ddm tuning (very cheap and online place for HID's and they work) is local so I usually go in but have had them test a ballast before. could be pure coincidence to but that would just be bad luck.

9. bvogts25

thanks for the advise. tomorrow night im definitally going to test out all the possibilities on it. and i have a buddy who knows quite a bit about wiring lights so worse come to worse i drive it to his house and see what he can come up with. ill keep everyone posted on what i find out

10. bvogts25

so i took a multimeter to the head lights tonight to check the resistance and see if the hids are bad or the circuit it bad. the resistance on the factory bulbs was almost 0 while the hids were over 2000. so im thinking there is something wrong with them. i plan on calling ddmtuning tomorrow and double checking with them.