1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need help asap please!

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Indyandy, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Indyandy

Indyandy Member

2000 K2500 4x4 ext cab a/t 454 cid
    Been driving the truck without any problems. I leave work, it starts right up as usual. Stopped to get bait for 5 minutes, came out and it would not start. It just cranked over. Cranked it so much battery went low. Got it towed home, but haven't any clue what to check. I did replace the fuel pump 3 months ago and I can hear it cycle when I turn the key. Any ideas? I am supposed to go to a funeral tomorrow out of town. Please help!
  2. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

do these have a fuel pressure regulator?...if so,change that
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

You need fuel and you need spark.

Get a can of ether (starting fluid) and spray a little into the throttle body. If it starts, your problem is fuel delivery.

If it doesn't start, suspect problems with the spark.
  4. Indyandy

Indyandy Member

This is a Vortec fuel injection. Can the ignition module be tested?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I checked the schrader valve on the fi rail and had lots of fuel pressure. I changed the battery out because it was old and low. It cranks over fast then slows to a point where it sounds like something is hitting. Once past that point it cranks over fast again. Does that make sense? I am going to check for spark at the plugs, but after that I dont know where to go. Any more ideas? I did buy some starting fluid, maybe I'll try that too.
  5. 66 chevyman

66 chevyman Member 100 Posts

Sounds like spark....normally an issue like this would be ignition. If you don't have spark at the plug you'll have to check your modules and fuses....I am not skilled on these newer trucks....I work on classics. lol. Hope you are able to locate the issues quickly.
  6. Indyandy

Indyandy Member

Ok, update: I checked the oil level to see if it had fuel in it, it was ok. I removed the hose on the throttle body and sprayed starting fluid in it. Still would not start. I pulled the first plug on the Lh bank and cranked it over. It showed spark. Now I am really lost! Where do I go from here?
  7. csltrains96

csltrains96 Rockstar 100 Posts

Has your Check Engine Light come on? I would check to see if the system is throwing any codes.
  8. Indyandy

Indyandy Member

Would a stuck EGR valve do this?

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a way to check codes without a scanner? I dont have access to one.
  9. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

local auto parts store willl be able to read them for you...check engine light on?
  10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

just because fuel came out of the valve on the fuel rail, it does not mean that you have the needed 50+ PSI being delivered. It is not possible to tell just by looking the difference between 45 psi and 60psi.