Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Need Help ASAP

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Mrtaz98, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Mrtaz98

Mrtaz98 New Member

I have a '98 K1500 Chevy Suburban 5.7L fuel injected
    I was driving along and it just died with no warning. Other than my dual exhaust you really cant hear the truck run under normal circumstances.
    I have spark, fuel pressure is 60+, new fuel filter, tune-up done regularly, oil etc. Well maintained. I was driving and it just died, no warning of anything, died as if I turned the key off. Since not starting, cranks over as if to start, checked the fuel line with pressure gauge 60+. Poured gas into the barrel runs like a champ until gas runs out, also sprayed starting fluid into airflow for barrel again ran like a champ until used all that was sprayed. Highly confused on what the problem is, checked relays, fuses under hood and in door panel all good nothing blown.
    The only thing that has been different that I can consider a warning sign is that this past week the truck would take 2 key turns to start and run as in 1st key turn (and only for about .5 seconds turn) start then abruptly die out. 2nd key turn (same time) full running.

Any ideas and help would be most appreciated.

2. darnie1987

darnie1987 Rockstar 100 Posts

check your relay for your fuel pump. sometimes they can go bad, and or get to hot. mine was doing that but mine was due to a bigger fuel pump on a stock wiring harness.

3. Mrtaz98

Mrtaz98 New Member

Checked not hot fuel pump running fine

4. darnie1987

so its running fine now? id run some injector cleaner maybe a bad batch of gas. we had a bad batch about 3 months ago in town and 2 guys at work had the same thing happen. one eneded up clearing up after 2 tanks and running cleaners. the other guy had to replace his fuel pump. hop this helps.

5. Mrtaz98

Mrtaz98 New Member

No it's not running. that's the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

I always use the same gas from the same station I use 87 octane and every other fillup run Lucas thru it and every oil change run Lucas thru that too

6. darnie1987

humm let me do some more digging and maybe i can come up with somemore ideas. is the fuel pump kicking on and holding constant pressure?

7. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Putting fuel directly into the air intake and the engine runs until the fuel is exhausted suggests a fuel system problem. When you check the fuel pressure, it reads 60 +, what happens when you stop cranking the engine, does the fuel pressure hold, bleed off slowly or drop off immediately?

Relays can be tricky. The A/C and fuel pump relay are the same as I recall. If your A/C has been running well, swap out the fuel relay with the A/C relay. This will rule out the relay completely and you can move on. Does the relay feel secure in the socket, not loose?

How was the truck running prior to this problem? You said it was quite, did it use oil? Idle smoothly? Might want to pull the dipstick and see if there is water in the oil.