need help choosing a 2500hd

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by yeller, Oct 17, 2007.

1. yeller

yeller New Member

Hello everyone. I just joined. I am going to buy a used 2500hd duramax with the "classic" body style (03-07) eventually. I am not sure what year to get. I would assume newer is better, but maybe not. I was just wondering if any of those years had any specific problems or defects I should avoid. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My 06 2500 Silverado (gas) has been trouble free except for two picky points. The door hinges are too weak in my opinion. And the spare tire hanger has had to be replaced twice. All non-warranty items. If you open the door and a 20mph wind catches it the hinge pops loose from the frame. This happened twice. The cable portion of the spare tire mechanism broke the first time and the tire just dropped out from under the truck. Thank God, it was on a residential street at low speed. Can you imagine a tire coming at you on the freeway? The second time the I got a flat and the spare would not drop. I had a can of fix a flat that got me to the dealer who replaced the mechanism. One of my co-workers had the spare on his 06, get stuck too. I rescued him with a tire plug to get him back on the road.

That said, I really like the truck. No mechanical issues, and the brakes still have 75% of the linings left. Only gets 11-12mpg, but I'm not paying for the gas so no big deal. I'm thinking about buying the truck when the company retires it at 100k early next year. Has 85k now. Don't know if I'll keep it or flip it.

3. Rasch

Rasch New Member

I've got an 06' 2500(gas). I have had no problems with it, except an annoying "Check Engine Light" that would not turn off. This was changed at the dealer under warranty and has been fine since.