1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need help finding a vibration.

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Harwood103, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Harwood103

Harwood103 New Member

I have a Flowmaster muffler with duel turn downs just behind the cab. I have a vibration that is new and driving me crazy. It was always a little noisy, but not like this. I took out my tool box in the back thinking it was that and it didn't stop. I can't seem to find anything loose, so I don't know if the cat converter is going or the muffler itself or what? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Year, make, model, motor, trans etc would be helpful please.
  3. Harwood103

Harwood103 New Member

Wow, I guess that would help. I have an 04 Silverado with a 5.3 V6. All stock.
  4. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Probably where you turned down behind the cab ..getting vibration in between bed and cab..runem all the way out sounds better.
  5. Josh

Josh Member 100 Posts

depending on what flowmasters you chose will depend on how droney they are. flowmasters are also know as and dont get mad when i say this is (dronemasters) sound good but vibrate and make tons of droney bass. try a magnaflow. still good sound but do not vibrate and drone. take it from a guy thats had 3 mustangs and one current truck with infamous sets of flows. my truck currently has a nice drone/vibe to it. also try a turbo muffler. it only sounds deep like a 2 chamber muffler at idle but quiets down on rpm increase.

---------- Post added at 02:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 AM ----------

also chech the rubber mounts that hold exhaust up if any. if one broke lose you would have a moving muffler. more rpm means more vibration until finally it acts like a musical chime under there.
  6. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I had a magnaflow on my '09 Sierra drone wasn't too bad. I just got the 40 series flowmasfer on my Silverado and it too is also not that bad. I think the AFM makes it a little noisy at times though regardless of exhaust manuf.
    I also don't listen to the stereo much but when I do, the exhaust is even less noticeable.

---------- Post added at 03:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 AM ----------

Did you install the exhaust yourself? I know on my 09'sierra I think it was the collar or a connection piece that was loose so it made a rattling sound. If you thought it was your toolbox it makes me think the noise your hearing is also rattling like. Have you gotten underneath the truck and checked it out?? Anything loose or bumping up against something else??
  7. Harwood103

Harwood103 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I think i'm going to run it all the way back instead of the turn downs. Yes, I did get under there and checked, but didn't see anything. I will crawl under there again when I have more time to investigate. Thanks again.