1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

need help finding the right headers ~ 2001 5.3L

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by newcheylover, Mar 17, 2013.

1. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

i have a 2001 5.3L 4x4 and have searched and browsed the site and found nothing that fits my situation. im looking for a set of stainless steel long tube headers that will work with my truck:grrrrrr:. i looked at kooks, pacesetter, american racing headers and more but found nothing that fit. everyhing i found was for the newer trucks.
    any thoughts?
  2. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 100 Posts

???? American racing headers has them for you truck... right off their home page just select Full size gm truck 1999 thru 2006. They build them when orders are placed... mine took two weeks.
  3. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

The only ones I found had the cats on them and were over 1000 dollars
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

They aren't cheap that's for sure, Dynatech also makes works of art but they have cats on the intermediate pipe as well. $1,500+. If you didn't have emissions ie. egr, evap stuff ebay has long tubes for $299.00 in steel not stainless. Basically what you want isn't going to be cheap.
  5. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

Well I looked at kooks and there stuffs like 500 dollars and that's well within my price range but I cant find anything for my truck.
  6. TimTom64b

You have to buy what you can afford... ARH's are $1300 without the cats. I just used them as a reference. Keep in mind these upgrades aren't cheap... I probably have around $3400 in my complete setup.
  7. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

I can Ily afford around 500 and even then I couldn't find a set for 4x4 trucks
  8. TimTom64b

Have you checked at summit racing or jegs? At that price stainless will be out of your price range. If your having a problem finding g a set on their web pages give them a call.
  9. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

Ok thanks Ill look at that. Is ceramic coated ones just as good as stainless?
  10. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have a set of Doug thorley stainless steel, ceramic coated headers. I got them at summit racing in the scratch and dent section, they were normally $800.00, I got them for $250.00 because they were all scratched up. I personally wouldn't waste the money on ceramic, I have had them on the truck for a year and they rusted where the coated scratched off. There are many grades of stainless steel, cheaper grades will surface rust such as mine. I bought a set of steel headers from hooker, 3 years later they're rusty as hell but I bought them for sound not looks. How many times are you going to pop your hood to show them off, if its a daily driver don't waste the money. If its a show truck, then buy the best you can afford.