need help never owned a truck b4

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dickera, May 1, 2008.

1. dickera

dickera New Member

i just bought a 2008 silverado 5.3L and i would like to put about $1500 into performance what would be the most efficient way to gain hp for that money? Any suggestion with product names and what it would do for me would be much appreciated. thanks

2. ministock8

ministock8 New Member

might be wise to wait till the warranty expires. like insurance they'll look for anything to get out of paying should something go wrong

3. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

there are upgrades you can do that wont void your warrenty... I know there are certain intake and exhausts you can get for it and I think some chips are ok but im not sure... someone else with your similar truck will help you out on what voids and what wont :great:

4. GoFastPadre

GoFastPadre Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey you can do a dual exhaust as long as you leave the cats and stock manifolds, you can also do a cold air intake as long as it has a dry filter, no oil. I am sur3e a custom exhaust shop could do the duals with not a lot out of pocket, and I would suggest the volant CAI, it has a dry filter and you can find them at www.autoanything.com $275 or so for the intake and about $120 for the ram air tube. You could also do a custom tuned pcm and keep you stock pcm and swap them when you needed service at the dealer, this may be illegal and I am not saying you should just that you can. Hope this helps.

5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

should have got it all from the factory borla exhaust and CAI and its all in your loan!

6. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It depends a lot on what your truck came with, but I've ran into some who feel that one of the best way to gain rear wheel hp/torque is a diff gear swap. For example, if you're one of those with 3.27 gears, and you change those out for 4.11's, you get a 25% increase in rear wheel torque.

Again, it depends on what you have and what you hope to accomplish, but I throw that out there as another possibility.

7. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If you were looking strictly performance I'd recommend Edge or Hypertech Max Energy Programmer. 380-450. Magnaflow dual exhaust 300-400. K&N or Volant intake 220-375 and some new gears out back if you need them. about 400-500 installed. So That's totalling about 1300-1725. Man I can spend some money.