1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need help on 2006 Chevy Silverado 4.8L

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by lucasseals, Jan 9, 2009.

1. lucasseals

lucasseals New Member

I bought a 2006 Chevy Silverado 4.8L 2WD, automatic, standard cab with a short bed. I've put on a K&N Cold Air intake, which I'm happy with I've gotten the performance I was looking for with a aftermarket intake, but now I'm trying to get more performance out of it, and I'm looking to spend around 1000 dollars on it, and was wondering if anybody had some suggestions that they have tried out and works. Thanks for the help.
  2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Have you looked into exaust systems?
    Or programers? I would reccomend Flowmaster for exaust and Superchips for a programer.
  3. Heineken

Heineken Rockstar

x2 Maybe check out Edge or Banks for programmers too.
  4. lucasseals

lucasseals New Member

I was thinking of the exhaust system for sure, but what do you think of eng mods, different intake, throttle body, larger MASS sensor and etc? Would like to get around 400HP by the time I'm done with truck, or am I just dreaming.
  5. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

400 Hp on a 1000 bucks. I don't think so, maybe 285. Do an exhaust, cold air intake, programmer, that right there is a grand or more. If you want more HP you'll need a super charger for 3 to 5 grand and that will take you to maybe 350 HP.
  6. alright so im in the same boat as you...4.8, standard cab and short bed.
    there isnt a whole lot you can do to the engine for the money you want to spend but heres a few:
    Headers...i would suggest long tube headers if you can get them for your truck
    bigger throttle body, mass air flow sensor
    you can always go the Nitrous route...thats what i plan on doing
    you could usually find a kit for under $800
    well i hope that helps a little..
    :great:
  7. lucasseals

lucasseals New Member

Intake Manifold

I've been thinking about switching out the Intake Manifold and throttle body to something like a Fast 90 and a BBK throttle body. Any other suggestions or what do you think I can gain from the switch?
  8. craigc90

craigc90 New Member

i tried the bbk gave me nuthin but problems idk if it was because i had a spacer on too but i got rid of it. that was on my 02 4.8 let me know about the manifold though ive been looking around for a nice one but cant find it.
  9. psu7104

psu7104 New Member

I've got a 2004 with a 4.8 and the absolute best thing I've done in my opinion is put headers on it, out of all my mods (in my signature) that was by far the best one. Ive got the Edelbrock Tri-tech shorty headers with a 3" dump exhaust, which I bought the muffler online for about 35$ brand new from Jegs, and took it to the local exhaust shop and they welded it on with a dump right before the axle. Also Ive added a Jet chip stage 1 chip, running of of 87 octane I noticed a big change in the top end acceleration, going down the highway at 70 I have no problem blowing past some slow poke. But if you want a chip just save up and get a complete programmer, I intend on doing so as soon as I can get the money, the unfortunate thing is that you can not use a chip and a programmer at the same time. In my experience a lot more of the smaller things as in tuning wise will give you more than going big with some crazy intake manafold or replacing all the coils and so on.
  10. ppettit2005

ppettit2005 Rockstar

I agree, go with either a good set of headers (I reccomend JBA) or a programmer. both of these options offer cheap performance boosts. in fact, you may even be able to afford both of them at the same time, depending on what you get and where you get it from.