Need Help - Repairs on 01 Tahoe Due

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by 01tahoe, Mar 12, 2009.

  1. 01tahoe

    01tahoe New Member

    Hi all - Thanks in advance for reading my post and offering any wisdom you can share.

    I own a
    2001 Chevy Tahoe LS w/ 110K Mi
    Which I bought used at 80K mi

    How can I identify what OEM shock I have installed?
    Is it the Premium Ride or Regular ?

    Upgraded the tires to Michelin LTX MS 18's with premium factory wheels all meant for on road and mostly hi-way driving. It's not 4-wheel drive and seems to drive well.

    Gotta admit the ride is real smooth but hey it's got a 110k on the odometer and I know the shocks are worn what I think is a premium ride could just be some real worn out soft shocks. They dont bounce like basketballs down the hi-way but they do make a loud thump once in a while.

    The dealer is selling me on OEM premium ride shocks at $586 each for the rear + new stabilizer links.
    Grand total $1,277 installed.

    Keep in mind it's not auto level or anything like that.
    Any thoughts on how to check out or identify the OEM shock type that is currently on there?

    Thanks again,

    01tahoe - rides again!
  2. silveradotrailblazer

    silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

    Need Help-Repairs on 01 Tahoe Due

    For that kind of money, I hope there made of GOLD! Never heard of a stock shock thats NOT a autoride type for that money. If you bought truck with 80,000 on odometer and now have 110,000 , then its time to change them. Also they could be the original. You can buy Edelbrock or Bilstiens for about 100bucks or less not installed and its not alot to install shocks.Id look elsewhere!
  3. Land Shark

    Land Shark Rockstar 100 Posts

    I say buy aftermarket Edelbrock shocks. i got them on both my trucks and they are the best. (my opinion). They are way cheaper than a dealer will charge you. Find a good local mechanic to install them. I paid about $100 to have my mechanic do both trucks. Of course I've known him for about 5 years now. Stay away from dealerships, they rip you off.
  4. dwill3015

    dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

    Check your RPO codes on the sticker in your glovebox and you will find code ZW7 which stands for premium ride susupension. My 2001 Suburban has it as well.
  5. 01tahoe

    01tahoe New Member

    Thanks to all for the suggestions - I wanted to try out the Edelbrock Shocks myself but never knew if they were as good as the marketing says. Any thoughts on how they compare to the OEM premium ride shocks?

    Keep in mind this Tahoe is strictly a family hauler used only on hi-way and long trips so the ride really matters a lot to the family. I guess I am hoping the Edelbrocks wont be a bumpy ride.

    The smoother the better...
    Any second choice suggestions ?
  6. Z71_guy

    Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

    if you have the big fat shocks without the air ride line going to them they are the most expensive ones you could have. last i one we did we charged 520 a side for them not including installation.
    if it has auto ride those are a little cheaper but not much
  7. Pete95Sierra

    Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

    wow 1200 bucks to install 2 shocks!!!!! that is ridiculous!!! look for a set of Bilstein 5100 or 5150 shocks. you can also install them in your driveway in maybe 30 minutes with basic hand tools

Share This Page

Newest Gallery Photos