Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Need help replacing evap core

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by BrantleyK, Apr 13, 2012.

1. BrantleyK

BrantleyK New Member

i have a huge leak in my 1988 chevy C1500 evaperator core and i have no idea how to replace it please help me guys

2. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Obviously if you have a leak, the system is/or should be already empty, otherwise you need to have an EPA certified mechanic perform the proper refrigerant reclamation and subsequent recharging when you are finished.
    You will have to remove the blower/duct assy from under the dash in order to replace the evaporator coil.
    Weather you can remove it without taking out the dash panel, I can't say, It may be possible, but may be more work to not have it out of the way.

3. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

You can get the evaporator out without having to remove the dash. I would suggest you get your hands on a manual to see where all the screws are located. As I recall, it's a real pain in the butt because you have to spend so much time lying in the floor under the dash.
    Good Luck and God Bless

4. stevemay09

stevemay09 New Member

I was just laying in the floorboard of my 98 1500 looking at my evaporator trying to figure out if the guy at the auto store lied about there being a second orifice tube in there, and it looked fairly easy to access. i'm a big guy, and it's kinda cramped, but it looked like if I unhooked it from the accumulator, it'd pull right out. i'd have to go back and look. I hope you already have this figured out, as this post is kinda old. I just joined and thought I'd post something.