Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

need help running wire

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by Burden33, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Burden33

Burden33 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

hey guys my truck goes in the shop monday to get body work done and when it comes out im hoping to start installing my 50" led light bar and was wondering what you guys think is the best place to wire the switch the light bar wont be used all the timne since its for offroad purposes i was thinking in the department under the middle seat up front?

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Can you post up some pics of your dash? Is there any blank spots where there should have had a switch?

3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

In my S10 I had my switches mounted inside my center console, and honestly that's a pain in the arse. I was using mine on the road though, but I still had to remove the center console and run the wires up under there.

BTW- Your truck is looking awesome!! It's a lot different then the last time I saw it, a lot has happened in a year.

4. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

I mounted mine on my steering column... Next to the turn signal lever.

5. Burden33

Thanks TRPLXL2. here is a pic of the interior and the switch that comes with the light bar. i was also thinking of gutting of my my 12V outlets and have the switch in there is its small enought
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I say put the switch right here... No Not there Here....:rofl: Ok sorry.. Lots of places inside the cubby on the right, on the inside wall of the center console, lots of places..

7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Whoa whoa!!!! When you say "GUT" the 12 volt outlets, are you wanting to use the 12v input wires off of them to power your switches?? The only reason I ask Is you better find out if those 12v wires aren't connected to something else, on OBD2 vehicles & CAN I believe the 12v hot wire to the cigarette lighter is also shared with your diagnostic port. This could interfere with the serial data wire, that's why when you get a "no communication" message on a scanner they always tell you to check the cig/aux fuse because they are tied together.

8. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I would mount it out of sight but in easy enough reach. Like under the dash somewhere but that's just me.

9. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I plan on installing mine on the inside of the lower center console. That way it is easy to get at but out of sight. It may be a PITA but it will be outta sight. Which bar did you go with?

10. Burden33

No no remove the back of it and run the wiring harness that comes with the light bar to the outlet and put the button in the outlet. The power for the light bar will run straight to the battery

- - - Updated - - -

I ended up running a 50" rigid e series spot/flood combo I got it for a deal out of the states compared to what one of the local business wanted in for