1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

need help running wire

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by Burden33, Jan 20, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. zigger215

zigger215 New Member 100 Posts

Make your relay triggered by your brights trigger and then you can mount the switch wherever and be done with it. Switches are dumb lol
  2. jake's silverado

jake's silverado New Member 100 Posts

Will it fit right next to the stabilitrac button ? I find that little cubby is useless. May be get a wrecked NBS that has all those buttons, and you can re-purpose them as you want??? This would not make it stand out.

What about the old school floor switch that was used to dim high beams? Then your left foot will have a purpose! Yes a little modification will be required to the included wire harness. May need some regular cleaning as you are in snow country!!!
  3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I thought about that today. Was gonna suggest it as well but you beat me to it. Touché lol
  4. Burden33

Burden33 New Member 100 Posts

you mean wire the light up to my high beams

that would be an idea but i currently got my bass knobs there for my amps
  5. zigger215

Instead of triggering your relay with a constant hot wire or a parking light or ignition trigger, trigger it with the high beam wire.
  6. zigger215

When you're looking at the pins of a relay it would go like this

Pin 87 gets constant 12v
    Pin 85 gets the high beam circuit wire
    Pin 86 goes to ground
    Pin 30 goes to your light bar

If you still want it switched, then you run pin 30 to one side of a switch and the other side of the switch to the light bar.

If you want it switched with a switch that has a little light indicator, also known as a pilot switch, then you do the same with the above switch but there will also be another pin on the switch that will need grounded.
  7. zigger215

Oh yea, what that allows the lights to do is:

When the switch is on, the lights will ONLY come on when your high beams are on, as soon as you click the high beams off, your light bar will follow suit. This keeps you from bobbling around with two different functions to shut down all your lights.

If you don't want your light bar to come on at all, simply shut off your switch and they will not react to your high beams coming on or off.

Your high beam circuit will work normally at all times and in no way will it be affected by your new setup.
  8. Burden33

the only problem having it hook up to my high beams is the light is for offroad and show only your not allowed to have it on going down the highway
  9. zigger215

That's why you would turn the switch off when you don't need it.

And lets say for example you are on a long trip on a main road, it's dark as crap out and you're the only one cruisin down the road, you're telling me that you aren't gonna flip that bad boy on? Waste of money if you don't.

You can also install a 3-way switch. This would allow you to give your lights TWO triggers. A high beam trigger and an accessory trigger. What this will do is allow the following light options

Light bar on with the accessories on
    Light bar on with the high beams on (you would select between the two with a single switch!)
    Light bar off completely (this would happen if the switch was in the neutral position.
  10. Burden33

ya ok i might turn it once in awhile for that. now that is an option running a 3 way switch