1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

need help setting timing on a 1996 5.7 vortec 350.

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by treeman407, May 10, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. treeman407

treeman407 New Member

i'm trying to set the time on my 1996 5.7 can someone give me the setting on how to do it?
  2. dipstick

dipstick New Member 100 Posts

Do you have a scan tool that has setting to time. Can not set timing on a 96 without one.
    If you have a scan tool you will have to hold rpm,s at around 1100 rpm,s loosen distributor set timing at 2 degree before or after tdc.
    Tighten dist. recheck with tool. Can get #1 piston to top dead center.first one on driver side .Look see if rotor is pointing at #1 plug wire on dist. cap.
    If off a little loosen dist. turn dist. till rotor pointing at #1 will get close till you get it timed at garage.
    If rotor is pointing at #6 will be 180 off #1 piston will be on exhaust stroke .
    Both intake valves have to be closed for tdc.
  3. treeman407

treeman407 New Member

i have it at my buddies shop but we can only get it to 17 degees. i guess what im asking is what should it be timed at?
  4. nadcicle

nadcicle New Member

dipstick gave you the right idea. The 2 degree variance will do fine. These engines timings will be taken over by the main cpu as long as you're close. If you go too far outside it will cause intake kickback and backfiring through the throttlebody.

I set mine TDC myself and it took over after first startup and purred like a kitten. And that was just using my finger in number 1 spark plug hole to feel for air.