1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need Help Troubleshooting 1995 Chevy K1500 Hard Start and Rough Idle

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by kad7253, Nov 22, 2013.

1. kad7253

kad7253 New Member

Hello All,

I'm at a loss with my 95 Chevy K1500 5.7 Z71. I have several issues that I need help addressing, as follows:

1. Service Engine Soon light is on and I get OBDI codes 22 (TPS Low Voltage) and 44 (Lean Exhaust). With the TPS that came installed on the truck, it would crank for approximately 5 seconds before starting and then idle high while in park or neutral. While trying to shift into gear (when cold) the truck will bog down and die. After the truck warmed up, it ran okay, but would surge at stop and would run rough until you got above 30 mph.

Last night, I changed the TPS to a BWD unit that I got at Advance and things got worse (the TPS that I took off also looked like an aftermarket piece). The hard starting got worse and I now have to pump the throttle to get it to fire. It also runs rougher at low rpm.

I have yet to try and resolve the Lean Exhaust code, but I think I will try and replace the fuel filter first. I checked the injector spray last night and both injectors seemed okay, but I have heard that reduced fuel pressure may be to blame for the 44 code. I have already rebuilt the TBI unit with new gaskets, fuel pressure regulator diaphragm, fuel injector screens, o-rings, etc.

2. The truck seems to build up pressure in the windshield washer system. When I first got the truck I would get a puddle of washer fluid behind the driver's side front tire. I thought it was just a cracked hose, but upon inspection they all seem to be intact. I shut the truck off last night and was looking around the cowl and washer fluid with squirting out of the driver's side windshield washer nozzle (with a little pressure behind it).

3. I get a puddle (clear water, not coolant) in the passenger side foot well when it rains. I've read some and this seems like a common problem, but I can't find a definitive point where the water enters. Any ideas?

Any thoughts you guys can provide are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
  2. K3500 Guy

K3500 Guy New Member

I would definitely replace the fuel filter. Also try cleaning the mass air flow sensors. both can cause lean fuel. Check you plugs and cap n rotor.
  3. kad7253

kad7253 New Member

Thanks. I replaced the fuel pump and it fixed the surging problems. Runs like a top now. Now to figure out the windshield washer problem and the leak in the cab at the cowl.
  4. edsmagichands

edsmagichands Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Just curious, did the TPS code go away? on your leak, make sure the area below the wipers is not clogged with leaves etc. also never seen it happen bot maybe some one routed the radiator overflow hose to washer res instead of coolant res? don't laugh! i've seen some crazy stuff!
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

the screws holding down the cowl on those are know to leak. Same thing happened on my 95. I just pulled the screws, dipped the threaded part in silicon and put them back in, then I put some silicon over the heads. it stopped my leak. Also, my washer solvent res. leaked all the time also. I had gm replace the tank under warranty once. But, the leak was always there. sometimes it would be fine for weeks, then I would walk out to a puddle of solvent. never figured that one out.