Need help truck wont start

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by 97mud, Feb 4, 2013.

1. 97mud

97mud New Member

I have a 97 k1500 5.7L 350 Vortex
    its getting fuel and spark but it wont turn over if i spray starter fluid in it starts and runs till it burn all the fluid up then dies
    need help

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Well I know you said its getting fuel but is it getting enough. If the fuel pressure is too low then the truck wont get enough fuel to keep running. I personally don't know the exact fuel pressure, but it should be about 60 psi while running/ starting.

3. 97mud

97mud New Member

could it just be that i need a new fuel filter cause that fuel pump was put into the truck in july and it was a new ac delco one not a rebuilt

4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Very possible and can't hurt! a dirty fuel filter and rob fuel pressure easily and cause hard start and trouble running.

5. 97mud

97mud New Member

thats what i figured

- - - Updated - - -

i changed the fuel fitler still wont start any ideas

6. samIam866

samIam866 New Member

is your security light on or flashing

7. 130195

130195 Active Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Since you say it shuts off when it burns off the starter fluid, the problem is probably related to the feed

Like @Conlan Rose mentioned earlier it needs enough pressure to start and run. I would do a pressure test and take it from there

8. RayVoy

RayVoy Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Guys, this is a three year old thread. Fixed, or junked I'd say.

kennythewelder likes this.
  9. 130195

130195 Active Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Haha whoops. Guess that's what happens when you just look at recent threads

10. xPosTech

xPosTech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Guys the forum itself gives a clue when an old thread is brought back to life. I've noticed on those old threads that the thread will open at the first post with "Go to First Unread" under the post title. Normally the thread will open at the first unread by default. I don't know how long a thread is dormant before triggering the action.

It may be to give one an opportunity to skim the thread to refresh one's memory. I don't know but it's very helpful.

Ted