1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Need help wiring 4 fog/driving lights to front of truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by thellama5652, Feb 8, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. thellama5652

thellama5652 New Member

Hey guys, I am new to the forum and need some help with wiring fog/driving lights to the front of my truck. I work at an auto parts warehouse and the owner gave me these 4 fog lights... They are originally meant for Mercedes vehicles and they are made by Bosch. I want to mount all four of them in the grill area and will aim them down towards the road as driving lights. Here are my questions: 1) Obviously I cannot use the OEM Mercedes plug, can I cut off the plug and just splice the wires into other wiring to hardwire them into my truck? 2) Should I wire them as two separate sets and then eventually run them into one positive and one ground and then to a switch? 3) I don't know much about electrical wiring, do I need some sort of relay or fuses? what type? Links? 4) I want to wire all four to one switch, is that possible? 5) What power sources do I tap into for power for the lights, as well as the switch? Anything else that I'm forgetting? Here are some pictures of the lights. Also, I have a 2007 1500 New Body Style. The last picture gives you a VERY rough idea of where I want to mount the lights on my grill.. I can run the studs through the gril and use a washer and nut on the back side of the grill to hold them. IMG_0068.jpg IMG_0070.jpg IMG_0071.jpg IMG_0072.jpg IMG_4108.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I would have a relay supply power to the fog lights from the battery or ignition source . If you want control of these lights then have a interior mounted switch to the relay control coil. if you do not need this then connect the relay coil to the headlights or park light feed.

the wires will require fuses at each point where you tap off the power.

I have seen many times the use of just switches supplying power to the lamps and the switches cannot handle the current flow.

3. thellama5652

thellama5652 New Member

I am assuming that the orange/brownish colored wire is going to be my positive correct? And black is what I'll ground?

4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

That is true for American made, but it may not be true of European cars. I would pull the cover of one of them to check it.

5. j cat

black is the ground with these German vehicles. the orange / brown would indicate a fused wire. solid red unfused wire.

6. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Those look like standard wheatherpack connectors, summit sells a kit that could prob connect to those. I could check if you post some more detailed pics of the connectors. I would wire them as 2 sets as having all 4 on plus the rest of the truck electrics ( hvac, headlights, radio, etc) would be rough on the alternator. You will need fuse holders and relays aswell as a pair of interior switches.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  7. thellama5652

thellama5652 New Member

Yeah that would be great - Thanks man. Here are a few more pictures of the connector, a picture of each face of the connector and then the end of it. Connector.jpg IMG_0115.jpg IMG_0116.jpg

8. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

One Bosch 30 amp relay should be able to control power to all four lamps. I would first find out what the current requirements are for the lamps so you can figure out what size fuse to use. If you fuse each light then if one messes up you only lose one from the fuse blowing.

9. thellama5652

thellama5652 New Member

Yeah, that makes sense. I was trying to figure out the power of the lights but there is no wattage printed on the lens.. Any other ideas how to find out?

10. j cat

if you have a voltmeter with amps measuring they should have a 10 amp selection. place the meter in series with the light feed. positive to positive not across the light input.with this amount I would guess 5 amps then 5X4 =20amps. so using a 30 amp rated relay would be correct. need at least 20% safety factor for reliability.