Need help with 77 K15

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by abe8938, Feb 15, 2017.

1. abe8938

abe8938 New Member

So i have a 1977 GMC k15 with a short block V8, I cant find the correct hedders to clear the front cross member. I bought some headman hedders 69092 to be exact and they go on easy but run right into the cross member where the transmission and transfer case sits on. The hedders that were on the truck when i bought it had the same problem hence the reason i took them off but im running into the same problem. The truck is on a 6inch suspension lift if that helps of any sort. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Attached Files:

2. garagerog

garagerog Member

Your headers aren't in the pictures so I can't help you on that, are they long or short tube headers? A couple of unrelated comments tho, did you buy this rig from a farmer that was enthralled with JD green? I'm referring to the bell housing and transmission. Also 6 leaf springs on the front axle, really? Previous owner must have liked a tractor like ride. I had an 84 K-20 camper special that had 3 leaf springs on the front axle and I can vouch that was way plenty.

3. abe8938

abe8938 New Member

They are long tube hedders, I'll take a pic of them tomorrow on the block when i have some daylight. hahaha i actually bought the truck from a young lady, the hood was up too the top of her head, don't know how she got in there and yea she must of been on a john deere binge that accounts for all the green everywhere that i plan on taking off. Thanks for pointing out the leaf springs, i thought it was odd that it had so many in the front, yea the ride is kinda stiff but it is a fun toy to have!

4. abe8938

abe8938 New Member

ok so after many days of it raining and getting off of work late i finally got a picture of the problem. Are there after market hedders that will clear this cross member? or am I better off going to a muffler shop and have them bend and weld them? any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Attached Files:

5. garagerog

garagerog Member

Did you ever check out the measurements on any short tube headers? The only way I could see from your picture to make those long tube headers work would be to have the collectors cut off and a custom downward sloping collector welded on so the exhaust pipes could clear the transmission and transfer case cross-members. Short tube headers are more conducive to the power band you will be using in a 4wd rig, plus the fact there is no room in a 4wd for a X or H pipe to realize the full potential of long tube headers.

6. silverado002

silverado002 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

A though. Maybe a block spacer under the trans/case and on each side of the frame members would get enough clearance for the exhaust pipe to run over it.

kennythewelder likes this.