1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

need help with a purchase

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by newbie10, Nov 8, 2007.

1. newbie10

newbie10 New Member

I own a 24 foot pontoon with trailer but do not have a vehicle to tow it with. Would you please recommend an SUV along with a year (want to by used) that would tow up to 5,000 pounds (trailer does not have brakes). I was thinking about the the compeditors Expedition until someone told me that the Tahoe gets better gas mileage. Please help with any suggestions and experience in towing. Thanks!
    1 person likes this.
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Oops, you almost said the "F" word:rofl:. You should have no problems finding a used Tahoe or Suburban from the late 90's ($5000-$7000), to an early 2000's ($10,000-$15,000) that would work quite nicely to tow your party barge. The late 90's had a 5.7 liter Vortec engine, and after that until present is the 5.3 liter which puts out more ponies than early small block 350's. Good luck with your search and welcome to the site!
    1 person likes this.
  3. jgreenern

jgreenern New Member

The Tahoe will pull it, I would look for the 5.3. I don't know how well it well stop. With 5K trailer weight, you are illegal in most places. Don't know about where you live.
  4. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I own a 24' Weekend Warrior toy hauler that we towed on a regular basis full of race bikes, gear, fuel, camping gear, etc. with my Wife's 2001 Suburban 1500 w/5.3.

Is your pontoon trailer not set up with electric brakes?