1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

need help with adding remote start to my truck

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 08crewcabhd, Mar 12, 2010.

1. 08crewcabhd

08crewcabhd New Member

gm now offers factory remote start upgrade for my 08 2500 i have the factory keyless entry already and i am told by my local dealer that if i buy the new keyless entry remotes from them and pay for their programing they can convert it to keyless and remote start

my question is if i already have a 08 keyless remote with the starter button on it will it work if i just hit my relearn remote option in my message center if not then what is involved in programing can i do it myself and will this remote work for me or do i need to just buy it all from the dealer
  2. 08crewcabhd

08crewcabhd New Member

no one knows anything about this
  3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

No the dealership has to do it, its not just a relearn. they actually need to tell the cumputer that it will have signal telling it is authorized to start the truck.
  4. doug_scott

doug_scott Rockstar

I just bought the 2 way remote start kit from GM and had to have them install it because in the instructions it says the dealer has to call GM, give the VIN and then download something into the computer for it to work. Got the truck back with the one new 2 way remote, and one of my original remotes (no remote start on the original one) that can still unlock/lock the doors.
    This was installed on a 2010 Sierra SL (actually a W/T with the Nevada package).