1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Need help with choosing a gear ratio.

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by fx2offroad, Jan 10, 2010.

1. fx2offroad

fx2offroad Rockstar

Alright, I have a reg. cab 08 2wd silverado v6 with 3.23 gears and 265/65r/18 tires. At exatly 80mph I run at 2,000 rpms. I'm going with this tire that is a true 35.1 in diam. when i install a 5in. lift kit ontop of my 2.5 in. to give me a total of 7-7.5. http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/truck.php?item=BajaMTZRadial

What size of gears should I go with?? I've been thinking about 4:56 but i'm not sure. I would like my rpms to be a little higher, eg. 2200 at 80mph. To help a little bit when going up hills. I go camping a lot so I do a LOT of highway driving. Would really like some advise.
    Thanks everyone!

Y

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

need help with choosing a gear ratio

If you are staying with the 2.5 lift and not lifting your truck any higher than 35s will not fit. You need six inches of lift to get 35s on your truck. If you install a six inch kit than Id go with 4.10 or 4.56 gears.

3. fx2offroad

fx2offroad Rockstar

Yes, i'll be adding another 5in. suspension lift on top of what i have now.