1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need help with cold hesitation

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Illmatic, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Illmatic

Illmatic New Member

My Dad owns a '96 GMC Sierra with a '99 350 and rebuilt trans. The engine has about 70k miles on it, and the truck has a new battery. The truck starts up every time very easily. However, after put in drive, when you step on the gas the truck wants to die out and stall unless you let off on the gas. After the initial take off and the truck gets underway, it no longer does this. If you park and restart while the engine is warm it does not do this. Only seems to be when cold. He tells me that the voltage gauge seems to be a little wacky, but I doubt that an alternator could be causing this. Anyone have any similar issues? Any things we should try? Fuel filter? Please help. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike W
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

My first course of action would be to start with the fuel filter.

Was the engine pulled straight from a 99 vehicle, or was it crate? Meaning, was it a block or a full working engine when your dad got it?
  3. Illmatic

Illmatic New Member

It was a rebuilt '99 from what I know. Probably from a crashed Silverado or Sierra. The previous owner put it in and rebuilt the trans. It has been great for the 40k or so that my Dad has put on it.
    Oh yeah, and he just had the fuel pump replaced, too. He took it in because it wouldn't start 100% of the time (unusual), and the shop cited the fuel pump as the problem and replaced it. Anyone else have ideas? I thought the fuel filter should be replaced just in case.

MW
  4. Rockie89

Rockie89 New Member

You might check the battery connections and alternator anyway. We had a 96 GMC truck that had a bad battery connection and it made the tranny weird, we had a 95 Cavalier with a bad alternator and it did weird things to everything. The dealer service dept explained that its because of all the electrical and computerized stuff in the the new ones they are really touchy when it comes to getting the right voltage to everything.