1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

need help with jimmy

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by willbur, Feb 2, 2009.

1. willbur

willbur New Member

i have a 92 gmc jimmy with a 4.3 vortec thet was in it when i bought it and now it seems like it jumps time when the engine gets warm runs fine when i first start it though and then it pops and sputters real bad it wont hardly run. anyone know what that is? any help is appreciated.
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Is the check engine light on at all, this could be numerous things.
  3. willbur

willbur New Member

no lights on at all. it ran good and did this twice before but it sa i little while and ran fine again after that but now it does it all the time. im lost
  4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If it sat for a while I would start with the plugs wires and distributer, check them thorughly if not replace them. Put some seafoam in the tank, you could have some water or moisture in there, the seafoam will get it out plus clean the lines and injectors, you can run it through the brake booster hose into the upper intake and really clean that out as well
  5. willbur

willbur New Member

i will try that and let you know what happens. thank you very much.
  6. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Welcome to the site Wilbur.

I had a 92 S-10 Blazer with the 4.3 and it did some similar stuff, except it would die and not restart for a while as well. It turned out to be a bad ignition module. When it would get hot, it would start messing up.
  7. willbur

willbur New Member

im gonna try and give it atune up this weekend and ill let you knlw how it does. thank you for the advise!
  8. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Is it the Vortec with the Plenum? If so, take the top of it off and check to see if one side or the other of the under side of the plenum is cleaner, if so you need to replace the NUT KIT, this kit replaces the connections from/to the fuel tank and feeds fuel to the spider injectors. What happens, is it dumps more fuel to one side that the other and cause the truck to run like CRAP....As you stated it may not even run. Also, when inside replace the pressure regulator, as they get swollen and become erratic, not a big cost for the FPR but the NUT KIT will set you back about 125.00, dealer item only.......You will nned the Plenum gasket also........Whole job maybe about 200.00 with all the parts. When you finish, this truck will purrr like a kitten and produce more power again.....

Jeff
  9. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Oops, sorry I had a 1993 GMC Jimmy 4.3L MPI roller motor that I had to do it to. I also did a whole lot of other mods, so anything else let me know......

Jeff
  10. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Jmoney02 is on top of things. I would agree that it sounds like a fuel delivery problem.