1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need help with Rear Diff.....

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Frosty, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Frosty

Frosty New Member

I have a 2004 Silverado, 4.8L V8 and 5-speed tranny. Original 4.3 V6 was swapped out. The truck runs and drives fine but ... in 5th gear and cruising at 50 mph the tack says 2000 RPM! (at 65 mpg the tack says 2500 RPM). Tires are stock 235 x 75 R16s. The only way I understand this happening is if the rear diff ratio is a 4.56. The glove compartment code says G80 and a GU6 (for a 3.42).... but the rear diff may have been changed by previous owners. No tags on 10-bolt rear diff, but numbers on casting are 8857, 4017 and NC18.

I drove a similar Silverado with a V6 and 5-speed, and at 65 mph the tack read only 2000 rpm.

Breaking open the diff cover is my last resort. When I rotate one tire clockwise the opposite rotates in the opposite direction. If I hold either tire still, the other tire still rotates.

The driveshaft (with tranny in neutral) completes approx 17 rotations for ten wheel rotations.

Nothing makes sense here (to me). Can anyone help me understand why the RPMs are so high?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

*****Thread Moved*****
    To The
    General Chevy/G.M. Tech Section

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

Is it possible, a previous owner change the rear to a 5.83?
  4. Frosty

Frosty New Member

sure it is possible. That is why I'm suspecting this rear diff. is causing my high RPMs.