1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need help with the transfer case

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by mrcheek, Mar 27, 2009.

1. mrcheek

mrcheek New Member

I have the '02 Denali and the mechanic says the transfer case is shot. I need to try to find another one for less than $1000 or a rebuild kit. Hope i'm not getting ripped off...
  2. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

4. trailshredder

trailshredder Member

They say what caused it?
  5. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Why does he say it's shot? Is there anything wrong with it, from your experience? As in not able to use 4wd, or severe grinding?
  6. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Nice link, I am not at all oposed to using used parts if they are still good and come off of vehicles that weren't wrecked.

also those transfer cases do go out and unfortunately they can cost quite a bit when they do. ours went out on our 2000 AWD astro and it started grinding hard core and even got to a point where it wouldn't let my wife drive it any further at one point. ours the gear the chain attached to broke loose and the chain it's self flailed around enough inside the transfer case that it busted the top out of the case it's self. ours wasn't that common of a part but thankfully we found an online friend of my wife's that worked at a junk yard and we got a replacement for $600.00 shipped to our door. Ours came off of a 2003 but it was the same and worked fine. the up side is that the 2003 that it came off of only had 32,000 miles on it when it had a tree fall on it and total it out. kinda wish now we'd have gotten the motor out of that one too, would have been nice to have put that in my son's S-10 instead of a 350 that he'll probably get into a lot of trouble with.