1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Need Help with Wheel/Tire Size??

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by elittle, Jul 16, 2012.

1. elittle

elittle Member

I have a 2012 Chevy 1500 4x4 with the Z71 package. I'm wondering if anyone knows the largest tire size I could put on my truck? I want to eventually get new rims and tires, so I need to figure out how much to save up. I want to go as large as possible without having to lift the truck body or suspension. Thanks for any info!

Also, I was considering doing a leveling kit, and someone told me that could blow out the universal joint since the front of the truck would be at a different angle, anyone know if that's correct?

2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

You might want to relocate this thread to Lifted & Off Road suspension or Wheels and Tires subcategory to reach a wider array of users. Good luck.

3. elittle

elittle Member

Good call, thanks!

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

***Thread Moved***
    To
    Wheel and Tire Section

5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I would say go ahead with the level kit. I as well as many others on this forum have a level kit and haven't had any issues. With any mod you MAY see increased wear on parts. But I have had my level kit on for over a year with no issues. I am hoping to get a new set of tires in the coming months. When I do I am looking into something in the 33x12.5 range. I plan on keeping my stock rims which are 18's so that limits my tire selection a bit. There is a lifted/leveled thread on here that can give you the many different options that are out there. Good luck and post pics when you make the change.

6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You can just step up to a 285 (32.8" tall) tire and be just fine with clearence and no lift or level

7. elittle

elittle Member

I'll probably stick with the 18" rims and go to the bigger tire size suggested above. As far as leveling, the rancho loaded quick lift level kit seems to be pretty straight forward and doesn't cost a ton. I'm going to go talk to the dealer I bought the truck at to make sure they won't void my warranty or something if I do that level kit. Thanks for the help guys!

8. UpsetProps

UpsetProps Member 2 Years 100 Posts