1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need help

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by traverskidude, Apr 24, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. traverskidude

traverskidude New Member

Hey guys need some help here.
    Want to make my Blazer into that 4x4 it should be. What do i need to get to do that? Do i need a whole new trans with a new front end with it? Can't find anything on this. Pretty much stuck on what i need to do any help is appreciated.
  2. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the site. I'd recommend posing your question in the Lifted and Offroad section. In addtion, what year Blazer? What mods, if any, does it have now? What are you planning to actually do with it? What engine/trans are in it now? All of that will help answer your question better.
  3. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog New Member Platinum Contributor 100 Posts

:sign0016: welcome to the club and enjoy the site...........
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

**thread moved here**

Alright i know we have some Vortec guys and gals here on the forum, lets give this a bump and see if we cant get the answer.
  5. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The only vehicle I have ever come across that was worthwhile to convert was a Bronco II. The 2 wheel drive even had a "dummy" transfer case and the right axles. All you had to do to convert it was stick a real transfer case in place of the dummy unit, throw some shafts, hubs and some simple wiring and you had a 4x4. I don't know of any other vehicles that are set up this way... Not even the BII's cousin and platform sharer the Ranger. What kind of blazer are we talking about here? Full size? S10?. In any case, it can be done, but it isn't a treat and it isn't going to be cheap. The best route is to get an entire donor vehicle for the parts, and even then there will be some fabrication and things won't fit.

To answer your question, It is a major undertaking. If you don't have a great deal of skill and fabrication ability, it is virtually impossible.

My best advice is to sell your blazer and buy one that is already set up the way you want.
    Wel
    come to the site!
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  6. donyms

donyms Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club, it is good to have you with us. :glasses:
  7. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have a buddy who is doing a solid axle swap on his blazer and last time I was back in my hometown it was coming together very well. I think he's got a Dana 60 rear and Dana 44 up front. Don't hold me to that. He said the s10 chassis was easy to convert. He is also a master mechanic he's been to more auto schools then anyone
  8. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It sounds like you are all set! Let us know how your project progresses, and again, welcome!