1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need input on new tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Brad Wissinger, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Going to be lifting my truck and running 35's. I was looking to get some input on tires. I'm going for the 'hum' you get on road and my off-roading here is basically mud, so I'm going for Mud Terrains, but there are a LOT of opinions and reviews for all the M/T's just trying to get some good inputs from personal experience here. The tires I'm looking at right now are:

GoodYear Dura Trac

Pro Comp Xtreme M/T

Summit Mud Hog

Hercules Trail Digger M/T

Fierce Attitude M/T

The size I'm going for is 315/75R16, and this list comes from my budget, which is limited to around $1500 to $2K. Thanks in advance for the inputs.
  2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

[​IMG]

Interco Truxus M/t radials.
  3. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I have never had the Truxus on my truck but I have heard they wear quickly :neutral:

From your list I would pick from the GoodYear Dura Trac or the Pro Comp Xtreme M/T, I have seen and heard good reviews from both. The others you have I believe are just cheap and will not last too long on the road.
    I personally like the Mickey Thompson MTZ, great on and off road :great:

[​IMG]
  4. Marcus A.

Marcus A. Rockstar

when I was younger I had a set of Ground Hog mud tires. I went through just about anything with them. They are directional and make plenty of noise
  5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I had a set of truxus on my Jeep Grand Cherokee, the one in my album. I had them for a few years. I put 25-30k miles on them and they still had a lot of miles left in them. I would say they are similar to the MTZ's.
  6. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Well I guess I misspoke, 25-30k is pretty good, thanks for info alox :great:
  7. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I would go with the fierce attitudes out of ur list. But I like the Cooper Discover AT/3 tires my self.
  8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've used 4 tires out of the 5 on your list, and I have a set of Interco Truxus M/T's on my Jeep at this time.

The interco's are possibly the best tire in this group, they do great traveling across most surface's and give good wear.

They would be seconded by the Pro Comp's

I have Pro Comp Xtreme M/T 35x15 on my Tacoma right now, for a mud tire their quiet, except when they need rotation, thats normally how I know it's rotation time because they get a loud hum. They have 25k and still look new traction on and off-road in all kinds of conditions is great.

I've used Summit Mud Hog 34x15's and they were loud from the first day, annoyingly loud, only lasted 36k miles, and had mediocre traction on road, aired down they floated great in sand and mud, aired up I could never get them to dig down enough to find the bottom under the mud, on rocks they sucked no matter how much air you put in them.

Good year Dura Trac's were quiet, did a good job when aired down but were a little sketchy on wet pavement, especially during summer storms when you get a lot of oil run off on the road, clay, rocks, mud they did ok, even better when aired down, sand they liked to dig in. They lasted about 45k miles.

Fierce Attitude M/T's were not very impressive, they did ok on most surfaces, lasted about 40k miles, low noise, but never excelled at any one thing, all in all a medium tire for performance.

The "Hum" your looking for is something tire manufacturers have tried to get rid of for years, and with new compounds and tread designs most of them have succeeded in quieting their tires down. If this hum is what you desire try looking at unknown cheaper brand tires, many of these manufacturers dont put the extra work into making their tires quiet but beware these brand tires will also suffer from low mileage and traction issues.
  9. Just came across a website (www.4wheelonline.com) and I found Nitto Mud Grapplers for less than $300 per tire!! I'm thinking I'm going to go with those. Thanks for all the inputs guys.
  10. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

I've had the the bottom mud grapplers... They are a good tire. Wear is decent and pretty even... I had them on my 97 2500hd.