1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need input

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by lars27, Feb 2, 2010.

1. lars27

lars27 New Member

Hello all, I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe with 52000 miles on it and the local auto care where I get tires and oil changes is recommending a "Transmission Fluid Flush". I have heard too many horror stories about this procedure and would like some advice on whether I should do it or just get the standard trans change. They also recommended a "Flush Brake System" and I still have more than 1/2 left on the pads.
    Thanks
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Go with the flush on the Transmission and have them drop the pan and put in a New Filter and have them flush the Brake fluid.
  3. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I think it is a good idea to have it done!:glasses:
  4. lars27

lars27 New Member

Thanks. Nice looking truck. I have a friend with the same year and it has 250,000 miles on it and running strong.
  5. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I recomend a drain and fill. No flush, most mecanics I know personally don't recomend the flush.
  6. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

This is what I had done to my truck when i bought it, and I'm glad I did.
  7. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Thanks....:glasses:..I have 140,000 miles.....and it run's Great!!!!......:great:
  8. Z_10002003

Z_10002003 New Member

Your under 52,000mi, you will be fine. I get only get nervous when I doing a virgin flush at over 100,000mi. I will recommend a flush over a pan drop and filter any day of the week. I've been a tech for eight years.
  9. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The most important thing to do is to change the filter. The filter clogs up with grime over a period of time and as this happens the performance of the pump suffers. The pump has to suck the oil from the pan through the filter. When you drop the pan and change the filter you are changing about 1/3 of the oil in your transmission. Now the question remains, do you need to change the other 2/3rds of the oil? The answer is yes if the fluid is dirty or brown looking and no if the fluid is clean and pink looking.

The term "FLUSH" is one of the biggest misnomers in automotive maintenance.

What's really happening during a "Flush" is you are replacing the old oil in the torque converter. The old oil in the torque converter must mix with the new oil as it's pumped out of the transmission. So you loose about 30% of the new oil when you exchange or "FLUSH".

A 4L60E holds between 12 and 14 quarts depending on the size of the torque converter and pan. A real dirty 4L60E may take up to 18 quarts of oil to get all the old oil out.

The TRICK in transmission care is to change the fluid every year or 15,000 miles, sooner or later is OK too as long as the old fluid is pink. If you keep the oil pink you will NEVER have to flush your transmission. :)