1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need Mechanics Advice

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by shane171781, May 26, 2010.

1. shane171781

shane171781 New Member

Has anyone cut the wheel lugs down on a 00-06 Sierra/Silverado Half Ton? Being there is 1/2" of non-threaded lug, I don't want to buy 2" long lug nuts. What is the best way to do this?
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Why do you Want to Cut the Wheel Lugs..[Threads].???.......:neutral:
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Dont do it.
    If you look at the threads their slightly tapered and cut at the end, if you remove this taper you'll have a very hard time threading lugs on and will most likely end up cross threading them and stripping them out. Then you'll need to replace them.
    The length is part of the structural integrity and shouldnt be changed.
  4. shane171781

shane171781 New Member

I dont want to cut the threads off, just the 1/2" of untapped narrow tip.
  5. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm with the rest of the group, I wouldn't do it but, if you want to go ahead with it, a grinder with a cut- off wheel will probably work the best.
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You are absolutely wrong. In aircraft, bolts are just long enough to get a normal nut and check nut on. Can you think of a more critical application than aircraft? That's just one example.

OP - Sounds like you want to put on closed lug nuts. Go ahead and cut that end off. I would use an abrasive cutoff wheel. If you happen to nick the threads, just use a thread restore tool to clean them up.
  7. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I would put a lug nut on and cut behind the lug nut giving to a straight cut, Then you have the nut on it to help fix the threads.
  8. 2COR517

Not a bad idea, but the lugs are hardened, the nuts are not.
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Actually having been an Aircraft Quality Inspector for the Navy for over 22 years, with a Masters Degree in Aviation Structural Engineering, A&P certified mechanic, ASE certified, and worked as an engineer for a Fastener company for a while after retiring from the Navy I'll tell you back that your incorrect on your aircraft description and on your analasis of an automobile wheel stud.
    Any fastener used on aviation equipment is required to have at least 2 threads showing after the last nut, even when using a backing nut (backing nuts are discouraged and whenever possible locking nuts should be used on aviation equipment) this is required so that the nut will not strip off the threads if it's compromised.
    If you check with a manufacturer of quality fasteners ( Like Fastenall for instance) they'll give you the same explanation. This is a standard built into quality fasteners.

Take the end off of a closed lugnut sometime, there is a space at the end prior to the cap where the nut is not threaded, the endcap just hides this portion, also notice quality capped lunuts normally have a long internal shank.
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
  10. 2COR517

What's an internal shank?

And explain to us all how the un-threaded, and therefore un-stretched, portion of the stud increases strength? In layman's terms...