Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Need more power

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by jgmanchester, Jan 16, 2011.

1. jgmanchester

jgmanchester New Member

Looking to amp up engine power. Between hauling a loaded cargo trailer, to building materials and snow plowing, I feel there is hidden potential in this little 5.3L. Currently installed is a KN cold air intake, Gibson shorty headers, magnaflow cat back dual 2.5" exhaust, and a superchips programmer. Also have a throttle body spacer that is not installed due to the fact it pushes the intake tube into the fan blades. Outside of buying a Duramax i cannot yet afford, I am looking for some more affordable options for any further upgrades.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Custom Tune from Black Bear. What size tires are you running, and what gears?

3. jgmanchester

jgmanchester New Member

285/75 on 16's. gearing....unsure. 4:10 maybe?

4. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Doubtful 4.10s with a half ton. Maybe 3.73, probably 3.42. Gear change would help greatly.

5. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Look at your RPO codes inside the glove box. Then go online and type them in, you will be able to determine what options you have, including the gear ratio. As for more power, you could go with some long-tube headers, a custom tune, and a cam. Although I have one also, the throttle body spacer does nothing other than make noise. If you aren't happy with the LT headers, tune and cam, go with a supercharger or turbo.

6. jgmanchester

jgmanchester New Member

will black bear give me better results over superchips? long tube headers are out, as I recently purchased the shortys within the last year. I've considered a cam but assumed the cost was to great for the return little.....am I wrong?

7. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Blackbear Custom Tunes is one of the Site's Sponsoring Vendor's.......Below is there link to their Web Site.....there is section of Frequently Asked Questions ,that will help answer some of your Question's,

Link,

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/

8. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

A custom tune will always be better than a canned tune. Buy some PaceSetter long tubes for $300 and sell the shorties. Unless you go with a cam or supercharger/turbo, you are kind of at your limit for "performance mods" with the CAI, exhaust, tuner and shorties.

9. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

X2 on the "long tube headers" & the lower gears. Plug your vin # / RPO code in at this site to find out "exactly" what gear ratio you have www.compnine.com

10. jgmanchester

jgmanchester New Member

what kind of performance gains would I be looking at should I do a cam upgrade....and are the performance gains significant changing from shorty headers to long tube?